Got my vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paramedic checking incoming private jets, and creeping up on 70 YO will get you to the front of the line :)

I had 3 shots last night and felt absolutely no pain. After the 4th shot however I got a splitting headache. I think it might have had something to do with falling off the bar stool.

On a more serious note We don't expect to be getting the vaccine until late this spring. Most likely around April.
I'm hoping you are wrong but I was in the Wis. Dept. of Health Services site and they are expecting that it will be several months before they are into phase 1b.

@ 78 & diabetic I don't know how far down the list I'll be. But I will get the shot when offered.

Interesting. My Niece had the shot, a little sore with no other symptoms after 5 days

Probably like the flu shot, I almost always feel bad for a day or two after I get one, my wife gets them every year for work and rarely has any ill effect.

A lot of people think they "get the flu" when they get a flu shot, but I think really it is just an immune response , your body going "Hey what did you just stick in me"!

If the vaccines really gave you the illness then you should be able to make other people sick, and I've never heard of one family member getting sick from a flu shot and giving it to the rest of the family. Everything has "flu like symptoms" because that is your bodies natural response to unwanted stuff running around inside you.

Just in case anybody thought her getting sick meant it gave her "the covid". It just made her feel bad for several days.

My wife works at a hospital and got the one that has to be kept very cold.

She was sick for several days afterwards, fever, headache and general blahs (standard flu like symptoms) and her arm hurt for about a week. Still much better than the Covid patients she has seen at work. She has to get a second dose in about a month, hopefully the reaction to that will be less intense.

Good luck and hope you have less of a reaction, I currently have a sample size of 1 to go by.
There is a lot of unknowns here particularly as it concerns the second dose. During the trials they had a lot of people drop out after the first dose the side effects were so bad on round 1. And even the CDC is saying those who have adverse reactions to the first shot should not get the second but they are pretty vague about what constitutes "an adverse reaction". Those who have allergic reactions to the first shot should definitely not go for round 2. Think of it like a bee sting, you get 1 and it is a bee sting but those who get stung again can have an anaphylactic reaction which is life threatening. I have plenty of experience with anaphylaxis and it is no fun. The hospital here is holding everyone who gets the vaccine for 1 hour as a serious allergic reaction will become apparent in that amount of time. I am way down the list of people who will get a spot in line so I will have plenty of time to see how it goes for everyone in front of me.

I am/was hesitant right up to sitting in the chair to get the shot. There have been some allergic reactions, but no fatalities, so I held still. No side effects at all so far, maybe the injection site will be sore tomorrow. 10 hrs post injection, I didn't even get a smiley face band aid :(

Aukai, Kudos to getting the COVID vaccine. :clapping:

FYI, the dropout rate of the COVID trials on the 2nd dose was the same in both placebo and treated arm (Moderna phase 3 subjects receiving 2nd dose 92.1% vaccine, 91.7% placebo), which is about what is expected in most clinical trials. The data for both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are similar in that individuals over 65 have fewer side effects with the 2nd dose "The most common solicited adverse reactions associated with mRNA-1273 were injection site pain (91.6%), fatigue (68.5%), headache (63.0%), muscle pain (59.6%), joint pain (44.8%), and chills (43.4%); severe adverse reactions occurred in 0.2% to 9.7% of participants, were more frequent after dose 2 than after dose 1, and were generally less frequent in participants ≥65 years of age as compared to younger participants". One would expect a higher incidence of side effects with repeat dose of vaccines because you are building immunity after the first dose.

Incidence of anaphylaxis with vaccines in general is about 1.3 in 1M administered doses, although there are wide variations for specific vaccines. Often the anaphylaxis may not be due to the vaccine itself but the ancillary ingredients (excipients) in the vaccine either from it's production or to maintain stability like PEG.
Anaphylaxis to the first COVID-19 vaccine: is polyethylene glycol (PEG) the culprit?
https://bjanaesthesia.org/article/S0007-0912(20)31009-6/fulltext

I didn't even know you could be allergic to PEG?!
But here it is:

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back