Got my vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning report 23+ hrs post injection, I have to move my arm in a lateral raise to induce injection site tenderness, and it's a little tender to palpation. For some reason I was a little restless during the night, but don't feel tired this morning. So it would seem that my status is nothing out of the normal, and more on the good side. :)

My sister got the Pfizer vaccine a week and a half ago with no side effects. She gets a booster shot in a week, then will be 94% immune from Covid after another 7 days.

If I'm not mistaken(or the news), last night I saw that this vaccine will be able to protect for up to 5 mutations. The UK one being the first....

While that's great to hear, I don't see how an mfg could know the five mutations it could change into before it happens. That seems really unlikely.

The whole mutation thing is concerning because the longer this thing hangs around, the more time it has to randomly turn into something worse, or less harmful. Flip of a coin... My employer wants to send me on a business trip after New Year's and it'll be interesting to see what happens when I politely refuse due to us being in the at-risk group.

I hope you do not get any resistance from your employer. My son is supposed to be flying to Korea for his company to work with Samsung. He ain't going, nope, no way, no how :)

I have some envy.
I've been in the countryside hiding out from this pestilence since February, because I don't fancy my chances if it catches up to me. AstraZeneca now also approved in UK, so it won't be long now. The "get your vaccination" program here is huge - it's everywhere. It feels a bit military, which is maybe not surprising because the military has been deployed to help.

AstraZeneca gives a half-dose, which provokes about 50% to 70% effectiveness, then followed by a full dose about 3 weeks later. This brings the protection to 90% plus. For me, it can't come too soon. I am now in the middle of a new Tier#4 lockdown with a raging new strain about 70% more contagious.

I hope you do not get any resistance from your employer. My son is supposed to be flying to Korea for his company to work with Samsung. He ain't going, nope, no way, no how :)
Good call. We had employees fly to Korea and they were NOT treated well at all. Basically imprisoned for 14 days of quarantine--3 squares a day of questionable quality and locked in a room.

I trust that all those downplaying or denying the whole thing will give up their place in line to those who believe it's real.
Absolutely. The wife and I have discussed it already and will not be getting it or having the children get it. Those who want to get it are more than welcome to our doses. It is not that we don't like the vaccine as much as it is the way the whole thing has been handled. It seems like every state is doing their own thing as far as who gets the vaccine first and it isn't addressing the most severe problem demographic and completely ignoring the possibility that those who are getting the vaccine may have already had the virus and thus the doses are being wasted when they could go to someone who actually would benefit from it.

Here in Illinois "medical staff" is on the first go round of the vaccine. At my wife's hospital more than 1/2 of the patient care providers have already had the virus and are getting the vaccine too. Now, it is interesting to note that not a single one of those people have died from the virus but somehow they are more "at risk" than the residents of the nursing home down the road where there have been 30 deaths so far. Those people really need it. Our fire department and EMS providers have all had the virus over the course of the last 9 months. Where it gets odd is all of those people in EMS and at the hospital have been diligent about mask wearing and hygiene and still have become infected. It really tends toward masks being ineffective and social distancing being what really makes a difference.

Absolutely. The wife and I have discussed it already and will not be getting it or having the children get it. Those who want to get it are more than welcome to our doses. It is not that we don't like the vaccine as much as it is the way the whole thing has been handled. It seems like every state is doing their own thing as far as who gets the vaccine first and it isn't addressing the most severe problem demographic and completely ignoring the possibility that those who are getting the vaccine may have already had the virus and thus the doses are being wasted when they could go to someone who actually would benefit from it.

Here in Illinois "medical staff" is on the first go round of the vaccine. At my wife's hospital more than 1/2 of the patient care providers have already had the virus and are getting the vaccine too. Now, it is interesting to note that not a single one of those people have died from the virus but somehow they are more "at risk" than the residents of the nursing home down the road where there have been 30 deaths so far. Those people really need it. Our fire department and EMS providers have all had the virus over the course of the last 9 months. Where it gets odd is all of those people in EMS and at the hospital have been diligent about mask wearing and hygiene and still have become infected. It really tends toward masks being ineffective and social distancing being what really makes a difference.
Stop throwing logic into the mix.......

Here in Illinois "medical staff" is on the first go round of the vaccine. At my wife's hospital more than 1/2 of the patient care providers have already had the virus and are getting the vaccine too. Now, it is interesting to note that not a single one of those people have died from the virus but somehow they are more "at risk" than the residents of the nursing home

I wonder about this claim. How does your wife know that More than half of the providers have had the virus? Just curious.

It’s actually not that easy to know unless they were tested (PCR off a swab). Remember there is no usable antibody test. And if somebody were positive then they probably quarantine for two weeks or so if not sick, and then longer of course if sick. I struggle to understand how A tightly integrated system like a hospital doesn’t fall apart if more than half of its providers have to check out for at least two weeks over a span of 6 to 8 months. Something doesn’t make sense in this story.

Disclosure: I am myself a front line healthcare provider and have worked almost exclusively with covid pts in 2020. And yes i was vaccinated in Dec, going for part II in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back