Grease For Spindle Bearings

Ok as soon as I get a chance I will get the motor on it and start working on a degrease of spindle. I had to degrease the ways already they were covered in grease, all the lube holes had a bolt threaded in them that was painted around so they have been there awhile. I have gave the machine a good kerosene bath and got all the lube holes freed and flowing kerosene then light oil. Once I get it going and see if it has an accuracy potential I will order some proper oil for ways.

Any idea on max Rpms on those old spindles?

She's gorgeous did you get tooling?
How big is the swing? Do you know her history?
From the pic she looks clean.
Please keep us posted.

Daryl
MN

Great Lathe!!!!!:drool:
i don't have any experience with a Leblond, but i'd be scared to get the spindle over 1000 rpm due to it's size and unknown bearing condition :eek:
your lathe was probably run from a lineshaft when it was new.

it's not a rule, but a lot of the older equipment had lower motor rpm's than newer mfg.
for example 1200 rpm and 1400 rpm motors were commonplace on pre 50's vintage equipment
then nominal rpm's were raised to 1740 rpm and 3450 rpm respectively, for motors in the 60's and on.
of course special wound motors were used, and still used, as well.

Kerosene works well for rust & will dissolve grease but gasoline or sprits would work better.

She's gorgeous did you get tooling?
How big is the swing? Do you know her history?
From the pic she looks clean.
Please keep us posted.

Daryl
MN

Swing is about 20 something? To be honest I haven't measured. It appears to be spacered and I didn't realize it when I purchased it? I may have Frankenstein on my hands, not sure yet?? It came with a 3jaw, 4 jaw, face plate, dog and center steady rest. I eBayed a tool post and other accessories I need.

The leg on the bed doesn't say leblond which worries me, hopefully it was a joint venture both were Cincinnati companies at the time.

Bearings that use grease should have more clearance than oil lubricated bearings.
If the machine has been sitting for a long time I wouldn't trust the current lube in the bearings and it should be cleaned out before running.
Be certain there is no open entry holes for dust to get into the bearings.
If you must disassemble the head be sure to measure the bearings and shaft.
The bearing caps may have shims, in the horizontal joints, which must be returned to the same position. If they used fiber
shims, those can compress over time and should be replaced.
I don't know what clearances would be correct but am certain if you don't find the information yourself
someone on site will be able to help.

The spindle bearings on this lathe were never designed to be lubricated by any kind of grease! In fact, nothing on this lathe was ever lubricated with grease. Always oil!

The Norton-Bradway Machinery Co was the machinery dealer that sold the LeBlond lathe. It's definitely a LeBlond built lathe. You can tell that by the funky front way on the bed. Your lathe is from the mid to late 1920's is my guess.

As for spindle speed, the maximum for that size lathe is about 350 RPM. You might get by with a maximum RPM of 600, if your lucky. Any faster than that may/will damage the spindle bearings!

The old lathe just needs a good bath of ISO 46 or 68 oil from top to bottom! :)

Back