Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

Coolidge, please take this in the spirit it was given. I fear that if your main reason in purchasing this particular lathe, is quality of surface finish, you probably will be disappointed. Darrell

I guess improved surface finish was something I was expecting for stepping up to a machine that's 3x the weight with a cast iron base, wider bed, and almost 5x the cost so this has discombobulated me a bit. Other things I still like are the lower floor to lathe centerline, my G4003G is about 4 inches too tall for me, the G0670 is about 4 inches lower, perfect. Infinite variable speed vs stepped speeds. The CSS is nice but honestly the G4003G does a fine job facing I'm not really dissatisfied with it.

Given that my G4003G, DRO, Bison, Aloris, tooling is all paid for and the $16k I'd be throwing at the G0670 just for starters would make a hell of a down payment on a Haas Mini Mill 2 I think I should step back and think about this. I love the idea of owning a 16x40 lathe but if I'm honest I can think of 10x more things to do with a CNC mini mill than a manual lathe.

You have some valid reasons for upgrading. So here are a few cheap upgrades. Build your self some wood duckboards, gains you some height while working at the lathe and eases the strain on the feet and legs. Swap over to a 3ph motor and vfd, along with your gearbox, for painless variable speeds and better surface finish.. Save the rest and buy yourself a cnc mill which I gather is where your real focus is. Just one old guy's opinion of course.

Darrell

Darrell those are very reasonable ideas, probably cost less than $1,000 maybe $1,500 if I went crazy. Just the RPC for the 1640 was going to run $1,800. Sales tax, shipping and rigging was going to be another $2,000. Yeah I'm growing colder on the 1640 idea by the minute.

Jim Dawson, professional instigator...didn't I already add you to the axis of evil on this forum?

Super nice, some missing paint in a few places so I don't think its a refurb yet it looks good enough to have been refurbed. Its had more use than 2 weeks though else how'd all the paint get worn off. I bet that thing is going to be north of $20k though, I emailed the guy just now to find out.

In other news...a 10% off your next order Grizzly discount code arrived in the mail today ahahaha (Coolidge wanders off to the garage discombobulated)

In other news...a 10% off your next order Grizzly discount code arrived in the mail today ahahaha (Coolidge wanders off to the garage discombobulated)

Yeh that 10% discount means you will only save $14,400.00 by not buying it instead of $16,000.00. LOL. Sorry to have upset your plan. My intentions were good.

Darrell

Back