Grizzly G5963 Surface Grinder (6 x 12), is it worth it and can it hold tolerances < 1 tenth?

You've got to start somewhere. The bootstrap phase is different from tooling up a factory. Get what you can and modify your designs to match your machines and skill level.

10k is enough to start. Keep track of expenses---you'll be shocked at the cumulative price of starting a manufacturing business. Build it a little at a time. Get a product out there ASAP.
Maybe. It takes a unique confidence (or ignorance) to be a business owner. And 10k is not much money really. But it’s a lot to spend with no idea if you even want to do the work. If a guy says he’s been doing this work and likes it, and wants to start moon lighting, sure. But to say he’s never done it, doesn’t know anything about the machinery, and seems overly obsessed with tenths accuracy on a surface grinder, then I’m not cheering him on as he spends his $10k. That’s my perspective anyhow.

I think if I had a chance to do it over, I would have gone to work for some big corp and had more time to myself & kids.
The grass is always greener, right? Lol

I’ve always been a cog in someone’s machine. I wish I had the guts or skill or whatever the magic combination is that allows a person to live on their own wits and skill. But it’s also pretty nice to know that win or lose, my paycheck comes in Tuesday. Lol

I would have avoided a lot of strife in my marriage if I had kept my day job. Oh, and would have had much more in the retirement accounts.

I did enjoy being self employed, but mostly I could sleep at night even when things were looking really bad. Without a smart, dedicated and hard working wife I don't even want to think where I would be now....

John

Acouple things. 10k for a mill lathe and surface grinder is doable. But tooling will bring you over that mark. I purchase a lot of my tools and tooling from auctions. Machines arnt much without the tooling that make them sing. I have an uncle that has a thriving tool and die shop. I pick his brain all the time. One thing that I really never thought but he said to me was. Do you have a job that’s gonna pay for the equipment? He said he only purchases a piece of equipment if he gets a job for it, to pay for it.
Well that total was opposite of what I did. I had a friend give me a Bridgeport with some tooling which opened the door to machining. I went and bought a 9-20 lathe off CL. That made me want a bigger lathe for bigger work. Then I found auctions. Got myself a larger 14x40 lathe and two surface grinders. One Boyer Shultz and a jet ballway manual grinder. Eventually bought all kinds of spin fixtures, and vises, and everything that goes with the trade.
All without having jobs lined up I was feeding my hobby. I make pretty much anything I want or need. I’ve gotten acouple handfuls of jobs once people and friends see what I make or have. Personally I’m in it to have fun ,expand my mind, and maybe get paid for the work I do. I have a full time job that I make parts for here and there but nothing that would steer me to quit and do machining full time.
From what I know a jig borer is not a surface grinder. A jig grinder grinds circular holes and stuff not flat work. Yes it will probably do it but not what it’s designed for. Sub-tenth work is not easy to do. There are multiple factors that come into play. Machine, set-up, tooling, and most important experience!!! Watching videos is great and informative but you’re not seeing behind the scenes.
I would recommend trying to learn as much as you can. Look at local auctions see what you can come up with. Get yourself behind some iron and make some chips. Get the word out and see what comes you way little by little. Looks for jobs that can pay for the equipment you want. And GOOD LUCK.

Another thing that needs to be considered if one desires to hold "sub tenths" tolerances, is to have the necessary metrology equipment( and ability to use them ) and environmental controls needed to actually make accurate sub tenths measurements. First things first.Big difference between thinking you are working sub tenths, and knowing you are, and by how much.

Last edited:
I would recommend trying to learn as much as you can.
All great information from Cadillac.
I do/did machining strictly as a hobby & to keep my mind active. There is far more to it than meets the outside observer! I'll have a new shop/garage to play in this summer with any luck. All my tools are in storage now and it hurts!
I have always been self employed so no company retirement bennys. I do have a sufficient income stream form investments to allow me to spend on my hobby as I please. I have sufficient equipment to keep me busy learning, trying new things & testing my abilities. I have made a few things for others, just for the cost of materials if they amount to much. I bought a new PM1440HD lathe after much searching for a used lathe. My lack of knowledge about metal lathes stopped me from buy the well worn used equipment. I obtained my Jet knee mill when I bought out the remains of a woodworking factory. I was given a very dirty & old cold saw by an old man closing down a business. That's my "major equipment." I have never taken the time to add up all the small stuff's cost. It is a lot! It isn't the end mills, boring bars, drill bits and lathe tooling that add up, so much.

Much of it is Chinese. Not what I would buy for a business.
3 rollaround tool cabinets (US General - Harbor Frt), 18x24 surface plate, 20 ton press, old drill press, decent collection of measuring tools (Starrett & Mitutoyo) & USSR, Kurt vice, 8" Vertex rotary table, indexing plates & foot stock, BS1 indexing head, plates, & foot stock, tool maker's vice, ER40 lathe chuck, mill chuck & collets, 5C lathe chuck, spin indexer, collet blocks & collets, taper attachment, nice Taiwan 8" 3 jaw chuck, boring head, gage pins .011 to .5, gage blocks, Silver & Deming drill set, broach set, Shars tool & cutter grinder, Jet 8" bench grinder, crappy Grizzly bench grinder, 3 ton arbor press, taper attachment, all the power tools, hand tools, sets of fasteners, books and misc that I added over time. Most of this "stuff" was added as I wanted to embark on a new project or learning curve. If someone is really bored - add just this list, $, up to see where you may be going! I'm afraid to. It's the price of not sitting around the house vegetating.
Hell of a rabbit hole! Have fun, be safe.

Thanks everyone for the reply.

What a great time to live in thanks to "Facebook Marketplace"...
Found a lot of machines for great prices. I'll make a thread for opinions on them.

Back