Grizzly G5963 Surface Grinder (6 x 12), is it worth it and can it hold tolerances < 1 tenth?

Is this for personal use? Or are you planning to start a business? Any background in this work?

Plan on to start a business after I have gained some experience in working with machines in my basement shop.

I never touched a surface grinder but I'm a quick learner, I will practice making parallels to holds sub-tenths and then start making parts.

"So the Grizzly G3104 should be able to hold sub-tenths?"

Are we talking sub one .0001in inch or a few .0001in

Does Grizzly say that? I wouldn't say so. It's better than the entry level surface grinder at the first post.

I'm retired from owning my own business. If this venture is to be your sole income, you need to reconsider the idea. Startup costs will be more than your budget, w/o machinery! Just the delay inherent in the costs that go into you product and getting paid will eat up more! I highly recommend you do this as a moonlighting gig first. Basic tooling & setup costs will be more than your machine budget. Wearing all hats means spending time as your salesman, secretary, accountant, janitor, all taking time. Are you going to stock materials? Is your customer willing to wait for you to order materials? Can you afford to buy in large enough lots to get some sort of a price break? Then there is the issue of managing workflow to keep a steady income.
+1

I had my own business for many years, not a machine shop but I was pretty friendly with the owner of a small machine shop in our town. I don't want to be negative, but the questions you're asking make me wonder if you're being realistic about the venture that you're inquiring about.

If you really want a machine shop to build the products you have in mind the best way to get one would be to buy a local business that already has the machines setup and operational. Buying hobby grade machines will probably be a waste of money, and refurbishing used machines to perform at the level you're wanting is quite unlikely for someone with a YouTube education.

If I were advising you I'd recommend starting with a decent lathe first, then moving on to the mill before getting a surface grinder. Grinding is only really useful when you've already made the part and heat treated it, and, it's considered a specialty. The shop I mentioned above actually rented one corner to a guy who only did grinding, obviously if they had considered it profitable to do themselves they would have made it part of their business.

Another business I owned sold trick parts for racing go-kart engines. We had machine shops that would do production runs for us and hold the stock until we needed it. There are plenty of good job shops out there that will be able to produce your designs better and for less money than you're likely to make them for.

If you want to make various products, without a serious business plan and investors, IMHO your time and money would best be spent on learning CAD and 3D printing. That way you can make prototypes to test potential markets, and contract out production once the design is vetted.

Of course I don't have any idea what experience you have in business, or machining for that matter. This forum is great because we have such a mix of dedicated hobbyists and seasoned professionals. Pretty much everyone will give you an honest opinion and do so in a polite manner. One of the most important lessons I've learned in half a dozen businesses over several decades is to make sure your plans are solid before investing any money. Also, having a good partner, mentor or consultant is invaluable because it's easy to think your plans are great if you don't have someone else to pick them apart.

I do machining as a hobby, maybe someday I'll have a great idea and make it into a business but the odds of that happening are pretty slim. I hope your ambitions are rewarded with success but believe me when I tell you that it's harder than it looks.

Cheers,

John

Don’t buy a single phase hobby machine to run a business with. Thats my opinion whether it’s a grinder, mill, or lathe.

$10k isn’t nearly enough. Borrow a $100k and buy a shop that’s already standing, with a couple years of consulting baked into the buy. Small shops are shutting down all the time as the owners age out, and retire.

There are forums dedicated specifically to professional machining. You should spend some time with those guys, before you start hitting the buy button.

Thank for the reply.

Interesting strategy. Don't know anyone to borrow that large sum of investment.

I will spend some time there and see what goes on, might be able to buy a knee mill & lathe in good shape with tooling.
Have any recommendations which forums catered on buying small shops shutting down?

"So the Grizzly G3104 should be able to hold sub-tenths?"

Are we talking sub one .0001in inch or a few .0001in

Does Grizzly say that? I wouldn't say so. It's better than the entry level surface grinder at the first post.

Thanks for the reply.

We are talking about sub one tenth (< 2.54 micrometers).
Something like half a tenth (0.00005") at best and doesn't need to be anymore accurate than that.
I'll be happy if the surface finish is between 2.54 micrometers (one-tenth) to 1.27 micrometers (half-tenth).

Look at clough42 I think on utube. He has a bunch of machinist videos and I believe he has either a grizzly or a pm light weight surface grinder that he goes through owning.

His very first surface grinder is an Acra and attempting to convert to CNC.

If .0001 total, is your cut off point, then don't even look at grizzly. That would be a challenge to hand recondition on your own.

That is a circumstance for getting a factory new unit from a G7 country. Won't be cheap.

I'm retired from owning my own business. If this venture is to be your sole income, you need to reconsider the idea. Startup costs will be more than your budget, w/o machinery! Just the delay inherent in the costs that go into you product and getting paid will eat up more! I highly recommend you do this as a moonlighting gig first. Basic tooling & setup costs will be more than your machine budget. Wearing all hats means spending time as your salesman, secretary, accountant, janitor, all taking time. Are you going to stock materials? Is your customer willing to wait for you to order materials? Can you afford to buy in large enough lots to get some sort of a price break? Then there is the issue of managing workflow to keep a steady income.

I plan to start slow and low at my basement. So basically start an online business from there and move forward.
I'm not expecting anything spectacular of revenue. Tooling will be expensive, some advice was given to buy from a one-man shop which I will first implement, I will use patience to find a good deal on a machine that comes with tooling.

I have seen some people started the business with similar budget of $10K or slightly less and have done very well where they have expanded.

+1

I had my own business for many years, not a machine shop but I was pretty friendly with the owner of a small machine shop in our town. I don't want to be negative, but the questions you're asking make me wonder if you're being realistic about the venture that you're inquiring about.

If you really want a machine shop to build the products you have in mind the best way to get one would be to buy a local business that already has the machines setup and operational. Buying hobby grade machines will probably be a waste of money, and refurbishing used machines to perform at the level you're wanting is quite unlikely for someone with a YouTube education.

If I were advising you I'd recommend starting with a decent lathe first, then moving on to the mill before getting a surface grinder. Grinding is only really useful when you've already made the part and heat treated it, and, it's considered a specialty. The shop I mentioned above actually rented one corner to a guy who only did grinding, obviously if they had considered it profitable to do themselves they would have made it part of their business.

Another business I owned sold trick parts for racing go-kart engines. We had machine shops that would do production runs for us and hold the stock until we needed it. There are plenty of good job shops out there that will be able to produce your designs better and for less money than you're likely to make them for.

If you want to make various products, without a serious business plan and investors, IMHO your time and money would best be spent on learning CAD and 3D printing. That way you can make prototypes to test potential markets, and contract out production once the design is vetted.

Of course I don't have any idea what experience you have in business, or machining for that matter. This forum is great because we have such a mix of dedicated hobbyists and seasoned professionals. Pretty much everyone will give you an honest opinion and do so in a polite manner. One of the most important lessons I've learned in half a dozen businesses over several decades is to make sure your plans are solid before investing any money. Also, having a good partner, mentor or consultant is invaluable because it's easy to think your plans are great if you don't have someone else to pick them apart.

I do machining as a hobby, maybe someday I'll have a great idea and make it into a business but the odds of that happening are pretty slim. I hope your ambitions are rewarded with success but believe me when I tell you that it's harder than it looks.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the reply.

I have experience in multiple CADs and 3D printing, want to get into the actual machining.

For decent lathe, which do you recommend?

If .0001 total, is your cut off point, then don't even look at grizzly. That would be a challenge to hand recondition on your own.

That is a circumstance for getting a factory new unit from a G7 country. Won't be cheap.

Thanks for the reply.

Noted, Grizzly SGs out from my list.

So now I will focus only on the following:
B&S Micromaster
Mitsui
Chevalier
Kent

Also what are your thoughts on Moore Jig Grinder Model #3?
It seems I will make more use out of it than a surface grinder since I will be selling many products which are only made in precision molds and die stamping. This machine should be able to surface grind and do many other complex grinding operations.
Buying it used will be a risky investment from a reliable source?

I find many of these remarkable machines being sold for cheap around $5K and all seems to be in pristine condition than any other used machines of it's price class.

Back