Group Project: Dividing Head - Organization and Design

Not sure what you mean by a starter cut, but I sorta have an idea?

It is a pretty deep tapped hole as well, and 10-32! Luckily it's aluminum otherwise I'd break half of my tries :)

Also, flyingfool: the driven gear seems to have lost its center hole dimension. It's 1.500, right? I went to look for tolerance and didn't see it.

Today I received an 8” length of 2-1/4” 12L14 for the first spindle. I am sure that I will knock it out this weekend. I will take plenty of pictures of the action.

I just bought 3 more of the same on eBay for $59.44 delivered. These come from Oakland Steel in Sterling Heights, MI.

I can make 2 spindles next weekend because of the Monday holiday.

C30CF307-5843-47F5-86E7-4DBFB5208202.png

I am following this drawing:

5A439C68-24B6-4555-9F46-D9F87D237230.png

Not sure what you mean by a starter cut, but I sorta have an idea?

It is a pretty deep tapped hole as well, and 10-32! Luckily it's aluminum otherwise I'd break half of my tries :)

Also, flyingfool: the driven gear seems to have lost its center hole dimension. It's 1.500, right? I went to look for tolerance and didn't see it.

Yes there are a few scattered dimensions that seem to have disappeared when the file crashed.
Just let me know when you find them and I will fix it.

When you drill and tap the setscrew hole, It is acceptable to drill a clearance for the shank of your tap as long as you keep 3/8 inch of thread at the bore. That will make tapping a LOT easier.

Attachments

• DH 026 Worm Driven Gear - Sheet.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 2
Suggestion: Should we put the current drawings and documents on the first post for reference? (and keep them updated there)
Robert

Done.
I'll do my best to keep them up to date.

I had been thinking about that too.
I was wondering if I should go thru and delete all of the iterations of the design process so that there is only one correct version in the thread and no incorrect versions.
But on the other hand, leaving all the old info for future people that may view this thread it will show the iterations and evolution of the design process.

I believe I always had the do not use disclaimer in the early file post.

You could change the names of the old files to read "old version" or something like that.
This thread is going to get so long and complex I fear we are all going to start missing important comments! At some point we may need to rely on PM threads to work out problems and then just post the solutions here. Jeff may get buried in PM's!
R

You could change the names of the old files to read "old version" or something like that.
This thread is going to get so long and complex I fear we are all going to start missing important comments! At some point we may need to rely on PM threads to work out problems and then just post the solutions here. Jeff may get buried in PM's!
R
This is why I had suggested separate build threads at one point. Even if we don't want to do that, we should close this one and start a new one for the build process.

If we want to keep this as the design thread, including for design changes not yet thought of and start a new build thread, I can start it, that way I can keep the files in the first post as the latest version. It will make it easy to keep up with changes. And there will be changes. This thread is already pretty long with 450 posts and 45 pages, and it even did pretty good at not getting hijacked anywhere along the way.
I think with the number of parts to make, to have a separate build thread for each part or even each person will be too spread out over time and someone trying to duplicate this in the future will have a hard time finding all the pieces. A link to the build thread can be put in post #1 here and a link to this thread can be put in the build thread.

I am making the spindles. How many spindles should I make?

I just ordered two 1-1/2” X 12 nuts and a Shars 1-2” screw thread micrometer because I am going to single point the threads.

As such, I won’t be able to start work on the spindles until next weekend.

E6F232C2-B855-40FE-A7F3-9545C64DD49D.png

Edit: After I bought the screw thread mic, I realized that I could have used my (PeeDee type) thread wires. I could have also used a nut (not the best choice). That’s okay, though, because I love micrometers.

Last edited:
Back