Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

Hey to make you feel better i tried to do OSHA Orange epoxy paint for my garage floor. Lets just say even though its my shop the wife said H311 NO!

Attachments

• 23A87D8A-22CB-4887-BA3B-A4F9936C797F.jpeg
    23A87D8A-22CB-4887-BA3B-A4F9936C797F.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 12
Grabbed a pic of the comical, yet effective, 6" vice.

View attachment 369828

That doesn’t look comically large to me. I would like to run that setup. My mill vise has come up too small before.

BTW I wasn’t able to get out in the shop at all last weekend due to work & Father’s Day.

@Brento LMS has a 3" screwless vise "blem". I bought one of them a while back. blem 3" screwless vise with slots It is on sale for $85. My vise had the tiniest of marks on it - only a hobby machinist would notice! I've done a lot of decent work with it. I didn't have the cash for a Kurt, like you, so that is what I bought. The screwless vise is a good value. It's more fiddly to use, but it is rock solid. I machined my own hold downs. If you'd like I can provide you a sketch of them.

My 4 inch Kurt clone that I got with my PM25 is not good at all. Even after remachining the nut and grinding a half sphere. I'd like a real Kurt 4" vise, but after using a screwless vise I'm kind of jaded. There's practically no jaw lift at all. If you put an indicator on your vise and clamp a piece down, you will be quite astonished at the movement. My screwless vise had a few tenths of lift on the moveable jaw, which is really, really good.

Thanks for the heads up. That is a great deal! If you would not mind, please send me a sketch?

@Brento Was going to pm you but might as well let anyone see the sketch.

Found my chicken scratchings and decided to put it into CAD. You probably want to use a radiused end mill for the inside corners. I used an end mill with 0.020" radius. (Whatever I could find for cheap on eBay.) I used 1x1 A36 for the hold downs. You may need to adjust the thickness of the part of the clamp that goes in the slot, depending on which vise you get. You want the clamp to tilt downwards towards the vise. Oh yeah, the forces are quite high when the vise is clamped down. Put a thin piece of steel sheet metal as a buffer between the round and your table to avoid denting the table. Ask me how I know :(

Here is a pdf of the drawing. If you can't open it I can post an image or the dxf. Back to the thread in progress.

Attachments

• screwless vise hold down.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 15
Here is a picture of it being parted off. I put a nut on there so the threads stay safe!

image.jpg

This is what it looks like after I flipped it around and cleaned up the back side.

image.jpg

Edit: After I took this picture, I checked the OAL, and it was a little too long. I need to put it back in there & face it down more.

Last edited:
Back