Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

Great news! I have all day Sunday & Monday to make spindles #3 and #4. I am looking forward to it.

I'm hoping to get out into the shop again soon... I tried a bunch yesterday but ended up having to tear down a big part of my lathe gearbox instead! Apparently a burr has been causing me increasing frustration over time, it was easy enough to file off, but getting to it was a long and arduous process.

I decided to tackle the Sector plates.
Here is a first attempt at 3D printing them.
The dimensions as printed are way off so I have to play more with the settings.
Other than them not fitting together they don't look to bad.
They are PETG floro orange because that was the material already loaded in the printer. I may buy a roll of a different color for the final version, Unless you guys like orange. I was thinking maybe black.

That is about 9 hours of printing. I did speed the vid up a LOT for this video.

Last edited:
Nice balls...
:laughing:I chuckled haha.

Side note my garage has been moving along great! Tmr should be my last day of painting. With the painting needing to dry and not much going on tomorrow i should be able to get going on some machining as well.

If the 3D printing will not be adequate for our needs then I will make the parts out of a sheet of black delrin that I have. kicking around.
I will try it again today with some hole compensation turned on.

Second try came out much better. The other half is still printing. Fingers crossed.

I recorded this at "only" 8x speed so it came out a bit long. Dern 3D printers are hypnotic to watch......

Last edited:
I am placing a McMaster order so I am already paying for (excessive?) shipping. Is there anything I should add to the order that we need? Are there any McMaster only items on our list? Those wave springs are quite expensive! Is there a cheaper alternative?
Robert

I am placing a McMaster order so I am already paying for (excessive?) shipping. Is there anything I should add to the order that we need? Are there any McMaster only items on our list? Those wave springs are quite expensive! Is there a cheaper alternative?
Robert
What are they doing other than keeping tension on the crank? Why couldn't a normal belville washer do the trick?

Reactions: rwm
Back