Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

Amazon doesn't have the correct size but this is close and cheaper
R

vs $8.50 for a pack of 10

How do those individual washers stack up? I was afraid they would get lined up (clocked) and nest into each other.
Robert

You could do a stack of conical washers, but that will be a PITA every time you change the index plate. Wave washers will spin around and line up. The wave spring is just like a stack of wave washers that have been spot welded. together to keep them from sliding into each other.
The purpose of the spring is to hold the sectors in place while you are turning the crank but yet still be free enough that you can move the sector to the next position.

Hmmmmmmm.........
I wonder if one could take a stack of the wave washers and tack weld them together to make a wave spring.

Reactions: rwm
I thought about tacking them together with TIG but I think they would lose their temper from the heat. Easier to buy the finished product. Preferably at the lowest price (not from McMaster!)
Robert

I think that before you got them tacked together, you'd have wished you paid the money for the expensive spring.

The thing I'm fuzzy on, is that the wave washer has 3 high points and is .018 thick. The multiwave has the same 3 high points, and is .015 thick. I'm not seeing the benefit that the multiwave offers in this application.

That being said, the link above to the multiwave is $16 for five, and the single wave is $8 for ten. So, it isn't going to break the bank either way.

After some reading: The multiwave is made from a single long piece of material with multiple turns. That way it cannot rotate and nest. It can be made taller. Single wave springs are not designed to be stacked so the height is fixed. You could possibly stack them with a flat washer in between.
In this specific application the shorter spring may be fine. Jeff?
Robert

WHen I dont have a specific load number it is hard to spec a spring. This is one of those feel things. Can't put a number on it. Best option may be to save the spring till last so it can be played with to get the best "feel".

Got the bottom of the last Main Base finished yesterday. There were a lot of improvements in my process going from the first to the last one. I did that last one all in one go in about 4.5 hours, getting video as I went. I'll post that soon enough, but in the meantime:

Attachments

• DSC04940.JPG
    DSC04940.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
It's been a good weekend. After making a vice-stop, I modified the carriage on my Craftsman 12x36 lathe to accept a tie down post, and created a carbide insert holder to mount in the four jaw. I got through five of the Main Bases. Indicated in the bottom side along the outside of the slot to square it up, then faced the outside of the upright side. It appears that the seat for my compound slide isn't square, so I had to add a shim.

There is no fine feed for the carriage, so I have to mount the Main Base on the carriage and then nudge it into the spinning tool until I hear it scraping. Lock the carriage, and engage the crossfeed.

The crossfeed was slow, so I also got all of the blanks for the Auxiliarly base cut on the 4x6 bandsaw.

Attachments

• DSC04945.JPG
    DSC04945.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC04946.JPG
    DSC04946.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC04948.JPG
    DSC04948.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back