Guidance on buying a G&E shaper

That machine likely dates to the 1920s, it could likely made to run well, with a whole lot of cleanup, I'd offer no more than $200.
Yeah that is an older model.

Interesting that it looks like this was built during the transition from belt driven to electric motor drive. Is that a cone pulley underneath the large guard being driven with a flat belt from the motor?

Interesting that it looks like this was built during the transition from belt driven to electric motor drive. Is that a cone pulley underneath the large guard being driven with a flat belt from the motor?
I think it was made just in that time period, It has a flatbelt but no cone

well I got a price, and its $1000 for a lot of things. He wants to sell an old what I think is a crescent 36" bandsaw from the late 1800's. He has several post drills and other antique things like a old wood lathe
IMG_20200819_192830.jpg
IMG_20200819_192804.jpg

Do it! If you want inspiration for that old band saw, look up Fireball Tool on YouTube. He did an amazing resto-mod job on something similar.

Do it! If you want inspiration for that old band saw, look up Fireball Tool on YouTube. He did an amazing resto-mod job on something similar.
well you see, that is why I found the shaper, I was looking at the bandsaw because of fireball tool. I used to live very close to him.

I bought one nearly just like that, probably a bit newer as the drive is different but most of the rest of it the same. I got mine for $385 and probably cost me $200 in fuel to go get it, and it hadn't been setting outside like that one. It looks like it's all there and those were well built, heavy shapers. That being said, I spend a quite a lot of time cleaning it up, had to make some parts for it. I think I have around $1200 in it and got 8 stitches out of it. Also, it weighs somewhere around 2 tons, so moving it isn't easy. If you can get the whole lot for $1000, you can probably come out of it ok, but just realize that selling that stuff takes time and effort as well, so add another project to the list.

Back