Guidance on buying a G&E shaper

I bought one nearly just like that, probably a bit newer as the drive is different but most of the rest of it the same. I got mine for $385 and probably cost me $200 in fuel to go get it, and it hadn't been setting outside like that one. It looks like it's all there and those were well built, heavy shapers. That being said, I spend a quite a lot of time cleaning it up, had to make some parts for it. I think I have around $1200 in it and got 8 stitches out of it. Also, it weighs somewhere around 2 tons, so moving it isn't easy. If you can get the whole lot for $1000, you can probably come out of it ok, but just realize that selling that stuff takes time and effort as well, so add another project to the list.
Any tips on convincing my father? I just dragged him on a 6 hour there 7 hour back road trip for a lathe tht he was unsure about me getting so that's one of the factors of him being against it cause he asks when will it end

Well, things are looking up for the shaper and friends. I figured I would make a sort of timeline and guarantees to my dad. I wrote a "contract" and gave it to my dad and made it a little funny and detailed, he thought it was funny but at the same time, he knows that ill follow it. I might also be bribing him by buying him a kayak. ill keep you updated if he signs it and when I buy it.

It's hard to tell in the pics, but the ways don't seem to have any pitting. Buy LOTS of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster to get things moving again. I probably used two cases on one of my lathes when I first got it. It hadn't been outside, but had sat un-used for over thirty years and everything on it was stuck.

Good luck and have fun with it!

By the way, Keith Rucker is restoring a Crescent band saw right now. You might want to check his videos out.

I don't know anything about prices n USA but $1000 for a 'whole pile of stuff' seems reasonable. That shaper has been under cover and just needs a good clean and new paint. Having the vice is a big plus. 36" bandsaw, I'm jealous. You could always make your Dad a kayak,(selling point for bandsaw).
Shapers are funny, people love or loath them. I find them incredibly useful, a lot of the time quicker to set up than a mill and boy can they move metal fast. A bit of practise you can make all sorts of cuts and shapes that would be near impossible on a manual mill.

Any tips on convincing my father? I just dragged him on a 6 hour there 7 hour back road trip for a lathe tht he was unsure about me getting so that's one of the factors of him being against it cause he asks when will it end

Don't let your dad read this, but the "when will it end" question is probably never. At one time I had 7 shapers. I still have 5, and 3 planers. Heck, 3 of them even run :).

Don't let your dad read this, but the "when will it end" question is probably never. At one time I had 7 shapers. I still have 5, and 3 planers. Heck, 3 of them even run :).
Well tht was my first answer when he asked me and he wasn't very exited about it hahahaha

Just tell him it will keep you out of the bars, both kinds. ;) MIke

That's an excellent point to make, joking aside. What it boils down to is: "while I'm in here messing with these ancient bits of iron, I'm learning. Doing something constructive". Any parent should be so lucky, especially in the light of the truly heartbreaking stories in the "my son died of a heroin overdose" thread.

More power to you for striving for it, @Cooped_Up . My parents - hell, even my neighbours - were very accommodating of me making a little noise, shifting machines, taking cars to bits and suchlike when I was your age. In their own words "I'd rather you were doing this than drink/drugs/trouble. Carry on!". I was always respectful and knew when too far would have been too far, and never got any hassle.

Looking forward to this all unfolding - please keep us posted :)

That's an excellent point to make, joking aside. What it boils down to is: "while I'm in here messing with these ancient bits of iron, I'm learning. Doing something constructive". Any parent should be so lucky, especially in the light of the truly heartbreaking stories in the "my son died of a heroin overdose" thread.

More power to you for striving for it, @Cooped_Up . My parents - hell, even my neighbours - were very accommodating of me making a little noise, shifting machines, taking cars to bits and suchlike when I was your age. In their own words "I'd rather you were doing this than drink/drugs/trouble. Carry on!". I was always respectful and knew when too far would have been too far, and never got any hassle.

Looking forward to this all unfolding - please keep us posted :)
I agree with that so much, I have made mistakes in the past and I'm sure they are much happier that I'm doing this kind of thing than anything else. I will make sure that I post updates on if I get it or not... I'm excited to say the least

well, everyone... I brought it home today!!! It's still in the trailer and I'm working on trying to figure out how to get it out. now I have watched the back yard machinists video on his 24" version of the same shaper and I see that he says that his doesn't have a clutch. I would like to know if mine does, I have a broken lever on the end of the driveshaft and it looks to be where the typical clutch lever would sit. in this image you see that handwheel looking thing on the right most side of the shaper is the broken lever
IMG_20200819_194535.jpg

Back