Guidance on buying a G&E shaper

On mine it is at the top of the right vertical way.
GOPR4401.JPG

just went out and the only thing I was able to find was this and thats it. I have the patent plate and thats the best idea I have of date
IMG_20200831_190402.jpg

Please, don't just put grease on the 'loud parts'! Find out what the proper lubricant is and use it. Using grease can trap chips and cause scoring and wearing in the ways. There may be a few places where grease is the lubricant of choice, but most moving parts on shapers will use some grade of oil.

That machine likely dates to the 1920s, it could likely made to run well, with a whole lot of cleanup, I'd offer no more than $200.
John is just cheap. That shaper will clean up with a lot of elbow grease. I say if you can get it for less than $500, you can’t lose.

Please, don't just put grease on the 'loud parts'! Find out what the proper lubricant is and use it. Using grease can trap chips and cause scoring and wearing in the ways. There may be a few places where grease is the lubricant of choice, but most moving parts on shapers will use some grade of oil.
I wouldn't grease the ways, I already have gone through the pain of that cleaning my Bridgeport and it came out of an actual machine shop.

Mine had had the ram ways run dry and there was some scoring (it was in a school, after all). I stoned that all down and it doesn't seem to have any effect. I did add two drip oilers to each side after the pictures and video above were made, to head off any problems with that in the future. I adjusted them to give about 1 drop every couple or three seconds and they keep the ways well oiled. I would recomend picking some up, eBay is where I got mine.

Back