Heavy 10 project

Very nice job on the lamp. Nice to have an original lamp for your lathe.

One set of jaws, od holding. But an original south bend part. I guess if I really need id holding I could use the 4 jaw in the pics, those jaws are reversable.

While it's nice to have original vintage parts, the bolt on jaws are much more versatile as it gives you the option of soft jaws.

Not trying to change your mind, just letting you know about different options.

While it's nice to have original vintage parts, the bolt on jaws are much more versatile as it gives you the option of soft jaws.

Not trying to change your mind, just letting you know about different options.

Good advice, just trying to tool up on the cheap, it came with nothing. Maybe after awhile I would upgrade the chuck, but it would work for me for awhile and then some. My wood working lathe has a chuck with removable bolt on jaws and soft jaws are an option. I never considered that for a metal lathe. Hmmm.....Good advice and information.

Good advice, just trying to tool up on the cheap, it came with nothing. Maybe after awhile I would upgrade the chuck, but it would work for me for awhile and then some. My wood working lathe has a chuck with removable bolt on jaws and soft jaws are an option. I never considered that for a metal lathe. Hmmm.....Good advice and information.

Soft jaws are only limited by your imagination. At work we've taken heavy wall tubing and welded it to softjaws ( obviously in three sections ) to hold round parts. Pieces of flat stock can be welded on to be used as "pie jaws" ( pie jaws almost completely surround parts to reduce distortion and come in handy for holding thin parts)

Wow, nice machine lamp

Now that's a nice lamp and really looks the part. Clever way to keep the outer shell cool with an air gap. You are pretty lucky it wasn't damaged in transit, the way it was just hanging down at the back of the lathe. Nicely restored.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

The mighty wire wheel at work again.....looks terrific Greg!

Greg, I have one of those Forforia lamps from the period of my lathe, and I have been saving it for whenever (if) I can get the lathe together. I have to say you did a fantastic job disassembling, cleaning, and restoring that lamp. It looks amazing and so right.

Well I am at a standstill, due to not knowing if I can use the stock cuttler-hammer switch that came with the lathe with a vfd. I do want to keep the 3/4hp 3 phase motor and I would like to keep the switch too. I like where the switch is for convenience and for safety, quick to shut off if need be. The problem I have or don't understand is this, I read that when the vfd is on you cannot disconnect power abruptly like after the vfd like with an off switch. I am wondering if the switch can be wired to operate the vfd? This is what I don't know and need to find out. I probably need to call teco and find out the details and if this is possible. I don't want to rework the switch if I can't use it. I am to the point of the restore where I am ready for power and need to figure this out.

Back