Help needed for TIG torch selection.

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I recently did a job for a client and we agreed on a argon tank and regulator as payment so now I need a torch with hose and accessories . I am completely new to TIG welding, because the last time I touched a torch was way back in 1996.....now I feel old. I just starting doing some research about torches and picking the right one is sort of a job on its own. I am not going to bore you with everything I saw and read about,but so far the most common one seems to be the air cooled #17 Flex torch with valve. But I would value the members input on this. I have a 200Amp DC inverter welder. I mostly intend to weld mild steel and maybe sometimes stainless steel.

Thanks for any input
Michael

Which torch you buy will determine your maximum amperage. Beyond that, you can set up electrodes covering a few sizes, electrode compositions covering multiple materials and processes, and cups and consumables covering a wide heat range and gas flow requirements. The other part is air vs. water cooled. I'm not going to push you into a water cooled system, because until the work gets really heavy it doesn't make much difference. You just need the one that matches your welder.

What I'm saying is a TIG torch is totally modular once it's sized right for the machine (literally small, medium, or large). So buy one torch and good assortment of consumables (they come in assortment packs too) and swap out tungsten composition and size for your work and base metal. Gas lenses or gas cups are selected as the work calls for it (get about 6 sizes in your range). I have my favorite brands, but what matters most is being able to get parts for your torch locally. You don't want to wait for international shipping if you buy a torch that is not supported by any welding supply near you.

I know I didn't give you any specifics per your question, but there is no right answer without precise info about what you're doing. Which torch will have little impact, but which configuration of torch components are what will fine tune your work when welding.

Oh, how I size and select my TIG torch components is by using a Miller slide rule that I bought about 20 years ago. I select my material and thickness, and it tells me which components and gas flows to start with. I think it's easy to use and is pretty accurate most of the time. There are plenty of books, tables, and charts out there. Eventually you'll get familiar enough to just know what you'll need, but the lookup method works and is a time saver.

We use this style torch and hose at work. I really like this style gas valve, not the one with a knob. The ultra flex hose is sweet to.
We run these 40 hours a week and usually get 6 months use before they start to break right at the torch handle.
With normal use for a hobby guy they should last for years.Screenshot_20200828-200650_Chrome.jpg
Joe

If you need to weld anything thicker than 0.063 and/or weld for a while, the air-cooled torch handle will get so hot that you can't hold it. I switched to water-cooled 20 years ago and never looked back, but obviously, you can just put the hot torch down and let it cool. I was building a car chassis, so it's all about what you're doing with it. I find it a bit comical about how the inverter welders are advertised as being easily portable, which they are, but they leave out the bit about them having a huge and short power cable, along with tanks and a chiller much larger than the welder itself, hah. My welder lives in one spot and the cables get pulled to where their needed.

Us stateside guys have our opinions but you really need to see what your local welding supply sells the most of and go that route to be sure you're not stuck with something with no support or consumables.

Water cooled is nice but more expensive and air cooled (gas cooled actually) is plenty for me and easy on my wallet.

Stu

A 26 series torch will allow you to weld thicker and longer without the expense or bother of water. I would recommend you look at CK Worldwide.
Aaron

Just
A 26 series torch will allow you to weld thicker and longer without the expense or bother of water. I would recommend you look at CK Worldwide.
Aaron
Don't think my inverter will support the amps for the torch. So far I am looking at the 17 series.

Back