Help needed for TIG torch selection.

You never mentioned what brand/model welder you have. Some inverter welders can use a foot pedal to control the amps as you weld. Allows you to start off hotter and then reduce amps as metal heats up without stopping. Once you've used one you'll feel lost and at risk without it.
Aaron

I too recommend a 26 series torch because it can support more amperage (not requires). Gas flow is dependent on the cup size which is determined by the weld procedure necessities. Unless you are welding in super confined areas that a 26 torch won't go into, you'll be happy with it's amperage capabilities. Smaller torches heat up QUICK and in turn deteriorate the power-gas cable if left unchecked.

I want to start by thanking everyone for their advise and input. Sadly me starting tig is not going to happen because the deal I had with client didn't work out. Instead of the job for the argon bottle, he arrived here with a Nitrogen bottle, I mean what the..

So I dropped that whole idea,because getting a argon bottle and the argon itself is very expensive here. I was ticked of with the client for putting me on a wild goose chase but didn't show it and just gave him the invoice for the job. Sorry for wasting everyone's time but at least I learned something.

The valve should be the same. CGA 580. If it is, and you have a place that does swaps, it should be no problem getting argon (as a purchase)

That is the problem, none of the supplier here want to swap for argon.

Don't tell them its a "nitrogen" tank. The valve should be the same. The tank is most definitely the same.

Don't know if they will fall for that. I could try. The bottle is still full. I could empty it and give it a go.

And remove the sticker that said the contents were nitrogen :)

I just checked the color codes for argon and nitrogen bottles, and they are different. So this won't work so I will rather leave it at that.

Back