Help needed for TIG torch selection.

The bigger torch is like having bigger wire in a circuit. It doesn't take more amps but allows more amps to be used and it dissipates heat better.

I also have a 200Amp DC inverter welder , a Alpha Tig 200, and had a hot torch all the time when welding 1/4" steel. Since I got the 26 series I can weld 4 or 5 times longer without burning my hand.

Aaron

Quick question. The bigger the torch,the more gas you use? Or am I making asumtions. Remember newbie here.

I would think that the amount of gas used would mainly be determined by the size of the cup. So, apples to apples.
Aaron

Yep, cup size rather than torch size for gas flow.
Something to consider apart from size is style. The flex heads I've found to be really handy for getting comfortable grip. Do you have a pedal?

Yep, cup size rather than torch size for gas flow.
Something to consider apart from size is style. The flex heads I've found to be really handy for getting comfortable grip. Do you have a pedal?
Nope no padel. I am thinking about the 17 style flex head.

Get a decent pedal too. Cheap is no fun!

As mentioned a air cooled torch gets hot quick. Especially welding aluminum. It takes more amps because it acts as a heat sink and wants to cool your puddle. Nothing wrong with having both air and water cooled torches. I have and use both.

Back