Holy cow the Canada fire smoke just hit us in western central New Jersey...

Shippensburg here (central PA just over the southern border)
Darn hazy at sunup on the way to work this am. Probably some smell but this area has a lot of people that burn stuff and I work on army depot so…

Not enough to be uncomfortable… but still there

We usually get smoke here for a week or two every summer, sometimes up to a month. Hopefuly it won't last long for you.

it's not bothering me, I was just surprised how heavily it rolled in, the night before we had a red sun at 4 or 5 oclock. I thought that was going to be the extent of it. But when it rolled in, my first thought was it was a local fire, the smell was so intense, and I could not see past my backyard neighbors house. I just didn't expect the level of smoke. It's impressive that it is this heavy .

The air is wretched here.
Eyes watering.
Heavy in the chest.
Smell of smoke even inside most buildings, I guess some particles are too small for many filters.....

Not to mention the apocalyptic colours of the sky, sun and moon.
Never seen this before; hope to never again if/when get out of the smoke.

Brian
They were talking about the particulate in the air on cbc this morning. The doctor said the smoke particulate is rated at PM2.5.

That's Particulate Matter 2.5 microns.

Good luck filtering that out with anything less than an N95. Which means you're going to breath it into your lungs with every breath.

They talked about the specifics of the particulate as well. Some of it is thngs like carbon (not good in your lungs as it's hard and sharp on the most delicate organ in the body), and some of it is things like sulfur, ozone and even HCL. They also said the PM count you will breath in the day is the equivalent of smoking 11 ciggies a day (that's Ottawa, supposedly the worst in Canada right now). Not the tar and nicotine from ciggies, but the particulate matter.

Something else they mentioned is that the 2.5 micron particles are only part of the smoke. There's even smaller bits that are sub micron level and basically enter the lungs and go directly into the blood stream.

So your lungs have to try and expel that particulate matter that is accumulating in them, which cuts down on you oxygen processing and then you get the double whammy of your body having to clean it's own blood from those additional contaminants.

Small wonder we feel sick and tired when under a wildfire smoke cloud.....

Last edited:
well leaving for Ireland tomorrow, and I thought the grass was dormant, but went out and it's high, and of course the wind is up and the smoke just came in heavier. I guess an N95 it is to mow... I can see my backyard neighbors house, but it is quite hazy, looks like a fog... this is really amazing.. feels like we are right near the fire.

well leaving for Ireland tomorrow, and I thought the grass was dormant, but went out and it's high, and of course the wind is up and the smoke just came in heavier. I guess an N95 it is to mow... I can see my backyard neighbors house, but it is quite hazy, looks like a fog... this is really amazing.. feels like we are right near the fire.
Might be worth chucking sone swim googles on your noggin if the smoke bothers your eyes like it does so many others. Sure, you may think you look silly, but if its keeps out eye irritation, so what?

Health > fashion.

It’s all about reducing your body’s exposure to contaminants. You skin does a good job, but other organs often need a little extra “help”…

now you got me wishing that I had a set of old motorcycle goggles.. so at least then I would be Fashionable... oh hell, I've never given a rats *** about fashion..

The cars here in Niagara Falls are getting covered in ash since about 10 am. Tomorrow is going to be worse apparently.

now you got me wishing that I had a set of old motorcycle goggles.. so at least then I would be Fashionable... oh hell, I've never given a rats *** about fashion..
I actually have a set of old aviator googles, like you would see in WWI in open cockpits. Bought them at the RAF museum in London (reproductions). I take any excuse I can get to wear them, they're just cool.

Back