Holy cow the Canada fire smoke just hit us in western central New Jersey...

With all due respect, the following is from the fire I spoke of up above. it was 450uM on this day. I think it got to over 600uM in my area.
Compare it to the graphic posted of your area today. The highest point of the air quality in this area is about 150uM right now.
At the time it was also the worst air quality on earth and they didn't have a bigger scale to show how bad it really was.

I'm not trying to minimize your situation but rather saying it could be worse.

At it's peak, I could barely see the house across the street from me.

Imagine your smoke being 4X as dense.

View attachment 450307
Not sure you realize it or not, but the province of Quebec is roughly the size of the USA west coast. Definitely covers the area in your graphic.

So how about we let this "one-up-man-ship" thing go?

It's bad all over, regardless of where it is....thing to figure out is how to beat these fires down and what can be done in the future to help keep them down.

Not sure you realize it or not, but the province of Quebec is roughly the size of the USA west coast. Definitely covers the area in your graphic.

So how about we let this "one-up-man-ship" thing go?

It's bad all over, regardless of where it is....thing to figure out is how to beat these fires down and what can be done in the future to help keep them down.
It's not about one-up-man-ship. The graphic I showed you of your area was real time. I showed the worst area.
I was saying to count your blessings.

Here's a site where you can check all kinds of world weather in real time or all the way back to 2020

I like looking at wave heights.

It's not about one-up-man-ship. The graphic I showed you of your area was real time. I showed the worst area.
I was saying to count your blessings.

Here's a site where you can check all kinds of world weather in real time or all the way back to 2020

I like looking at wave heights.
I don't understand. The graphic you posted (at least what I can see) is the west coast. I'm on the east.

I don't understand. The graphic you posted (at least what I can see) is the west coast. I'm on the east.
Yours was on page 3
Here it is again
aq-png.450294

We have been ordered to stay indoors by the state public health department every single summer in recent years. My point isn't one upmanship, my point is our house is on fire and most people have not changed a single contributing behavior or made any modifications to lifestyle in an attempt to improve things for the future. I don't have kids so I shouldn't give a damn; as a member of this capitalist society, I should be exploiting my lack of investment in the future just like all the corporations are, but I'm not. I want this to be a nice place to live. NO, the point of my post is to get used to it, you guys back east have no idea how bad it's going to get. You're getting a taste, but just a taste. There is more to come.

I didn't want to like this post, but sadly, I had to - All too true, I'm afraid.
We occasionally have some good size fires in Florida - An awful lot of pine plantation here.
One last year, just a couple miles south (Bertha Swamp fire), burned over 40,000 acres in a week or so.
The big difference I think, is that the prevailing wind usually carries most of the smoke off to the east, and out to sea, or out over the Gulf -
No major met areas involved, and so nobody gets too excited ......

When I was a kid, a large California fire of the 10-year variety was a 40,000 acre fire. Now, the fires are hundreds of thousands of acres, every year, and usually we have 4 or 5 going all summer long of that size. Something is different, and it's not forestry management or underbrush growth or any of those sorry excuses for an explanation. We've forced an unprecedented change in climate, and we did it in the last 100 years by raping and exploiting and not paying back in after the resource is gone. Typical American sentiment, highlighted by Garrett Hardin in his historical essay, The Tragedy of the Commons: I don't care if you get yours, as long as I get mine first. That is a business mantra in the country where profit is king.

Yours was on page 3
Here it is again
aq-png.450294
We’re referencing two different images. I was referring to the satellite photos on the Quebec fires When commenting on size.

Regardless, I’ve lost interest in this thread.

ciao.

Looks like West (NW and SW) of Toronto is getting areas over 300uM today

Back