Holy cow the Canada fire smoke just hit us in western central New Jersey...

Lot's of choices for goggles if you google Steampunk

I have a set of high school type goggles I put them on after a few minutes on the tractor. And even they aren't working well enough. I put on swim goggles but they're all scratched up so I can't see with them. It's awful out there. Worse than I thought it was going to be. It really is kind of abrasive

just finished, the New N95 mask has caught more than I thought, I didn't smell anything wearing it, and it is noticeably darker. I have a new appreciation for what the wildfires in California do to the eastern populace. Leaving tomorrow, so won't get to enjoy the smoke after that, although I hear that many flights are being delayed by the conditions.

Something like 230 square kms burning (23,015 hectares). They're all classified as "contained" except the southern one.
It's early in the season for such a big fire.
I was trying to figure out how large 230 square kms is. That's 56,834 acres
The Dixie fire was 963,309 acres or 389,837 hectares.
Not to make lite of the current fires in Canada I'm just trying to understand the size of the fire that is causing so much smoke in the East.

A couple years ago there was a wildfire so big that most of the area was nothing but smoke for months.
And we had to wear Rona masks to add to it. It was miserable.
But, for whatever reason, wildfire smoke gives me anxiety. I can still function but there's a part of me that thinks the sky could fall at any second. It's hell living with that feeling for a few months.
It's not good that Canada has wildfires this early in the season. Chances are, like here a couple years ago, it's almost impossible to put them out and they burn til the rain comes.
The Dixie Fire??
Almost a million acres.

It's early in the season for such a big fire.
I was trying to figure out how large 230 square kms is. That's 56,834 acres
The Dixie fire was 963,309 acres or 389,837 hectares.
Not to make lite of the current fires in Canada I'm just trying to understand the size of the fire that is causing so much smoke in the East.
That's just one fire in Nova Scotia. The ones playing havoc with the North East 'States are in Quebec and there's a stupid amount burning there. The Quebec fires are so large you can see them from space:

202306061120-202306062330_g16_fd_geocolorfiretemp_quebec-fires_nolabels0.png

When something is visible from orbit, that's pretty damned big!

Canada is basically a thick boreal forest from the 49th parallel to the arctic circle. With a lot of it on fire, all of North America is in danger. That's why there a large contingent of international resources here right now. The world has to get this under control or it's big problems for everyone....

Last edited:
Y'all are amateurs with this smoke stuff on the East coast.
View attachment 450303
Hardly:

13355130_060723-wabc-orange-esb-img.jpg

And in the next 20 minutes the picture was completely orange. IOW: zero visibility.

NYC was just announced as the worst air quality IN THE WORLD right now. that sounds sufficiently bad enough to me.

Why turn this into a "who's got it worse" conversation? That's just childish. Poor air quality is poor air quality. People with respiratory problems suffer just the same on the east, west coast or anywhere else in this world. Doesn't matter where you are....

Last edited:
Hardly:

13355130_060723-wabc-orange-esb-img.jpg

And in the next 20 minutes the picture was completely orange. IOW: zero visibility.

NYC was just announced as the worst air quality IN THE WORLD right now. that sounds sufficiently bad enough to me.

Why turn this into a "who's got it worse" conversation? That's just childish. Poor air quality is poor air quality. People with respiratory problems suffer just the same on the east or west coast. Doesn't matter where you are....
With all due respect, the following is from the fire I spoke of up above. it was 450uM on this day. I think it got to over 600uM in my area.
Compare it to the graphic posted of your area today. The highest point of the air quality in this area is about 150uM right now.
At the time it was also the worst air quality on earth and they didn't have a bigger scale to show how bad it really was.

I'm not trying to minimize your situation but rather saying it could be worse.

At it's peak, I could barely see the house across the street from me.

Imagine your smoke being 4X as dense.

fire2020.PNG

Last edited:
Back