Home built spool gun for 120V wire feed

Thanks Randy I dont think there is much interest in welding on this forum. Ray

You noticed that too, Ray. Doesn't really make a lot of sense, at least to me.

Wonderful project, Ray. Thanks for posting it!

As for the interest in welding, it seems to go in streaks here, but I am also surprised at the low attention level in that area. I suspect that the biggest reason for lack of activity in that area is because the primary focus of this forum is on machining. But, let's face it, welding is a big part of many projects, so we definitely need to provide an area for it like we do.

Wonderful project, Ray. Thanks for posting it!

As for the interest in welding, it seems to go in streaks here, but I am also surprised at the low attention level in that area. I suspect that the biggest reason for lack of activity in that area is because the primary focus of this forum is on machining. But, let's face it, welding is a big part of many projects, so we definitely need to provide an area for it like we do.

I agree I cannot build anything without some form of welding you can save a lot of time fabricating something and machining it rather that starting from a solid block. I thought this would be interesting article because it is compact will weld a varity of metals and will work on small home welders. Ray

Could a ac/dc "buzz box" be used for the transformer (read power supply) on somthing like this? Just a left field question.

Jake Parker

Hi Jake
No. You would need some type of constant voltage power supply that allows the current to float. The current will rise with an increase wire speed. The buzz box is a constant current design and the voltage floats. You will need something that is adjustable from about 15 to 25 volts DC.

Hi Jake
No. You would need some type of constant voltage power supply that allows the current to float. The current will rise with an increase wire speed. The buzz box is a constant current design and the voltage floats. You will need something that is adjustable from about 15 to 25 volts DC.

I would not disagree with this but I did find one fella that tried it on steel and he claimed it worked but I did not see the weld and I would not make any bets on it. But I did see one run off of a couple car batteries and it did work pretty good. Ray

Back