Home built spool gun for 120V wire feed

Put me on the list for prints!!! If you do another build PLEASE post some pictures and steps.

Jake Parker

Nice build. I have 2 spool guns and i would be lost without them. My dad bought his first in 1967 and i still have it...Bob

Nice build. I have 2 spool guns and i would be lost without them. My dad bought his first in 1967 and i still have it...Bob

Thanks they really save on wire the small dia. wire on these small machines gets caught in the liner really easy and aluminum I have managed to run through a regular gun does not work well either. Ray

I have now made a seperate power supply and PWM board for this spool gun I had to increase the wire spped and the 120 volt welders use the welding supply power for the motor as well. So if you turn down the amps you also loose motor speed. I now have a seperate power supply and I now have the speed control on the gun, I tried it on aluminum this weekend and I had more than enough power to weld aluminum I had to turn it down a bit I was burning through an 1/8 test piece. Ray

That's a very cool gizmo you made, Ray. Nice work!

Very nice !!! Sign me up for prints too

I have a friend who used a teflon liner and was unable to get enough power with a 120V Lincoln MIG. Does the spool gun have any advantage that helps it work better?

I cannot speak for the newer lincoln MIG I know the first one they put out I welded aluminum with it quite a bit from what I understand from the new 120V Lincoln MIG it is not near as health as the old ones.. The old Airco unit I have has more than enough power to spray transfer aluminum. It seems the newer ones are very punk on power but are much lighter to carry around. There are a couple things to consider though my welder has full size drive motor that draws at least 10 10 15 amps the spool gun only draws 3/4 of and amp and since they use the welding power to drive the motor you are dumping 10 to 15 amps back into the machine. Another thing to consider is your friend probably had to use 0.35 wire or bigger to feed through the liner?? That maybe to big on such a small machine with this I can burn 0.23 to 0.35 a smaller wire make a huge differance.. Ray

Last edited:
Back