Home built spool gun for 120V wire feed

View attachment 92458

Here is the gas nozzle it is made from a 5/8 copper water pipe I made an attachment on my lathe to roll the end. the insulator is teflon the gas chamber has a finned aluminum shell for cooling the inside is brass, the push button is a micro switch and the handle is a part of a flashlight reshaped with a heavy duty heat shrink over the top. Well thats it I have to play with it some more all the cables detach off the back side behind where the handle is makes it nice when you want to put it away. Thanks for lookin Ray

As a degreed industrial designer I feel fully qualified to complement you & your design skills. You have combined aesthetics, functionality and simple elegance in your design.

Your description of the gun is succinct and clearly describes it's function & how you went about making it happen. It would not be difficult for many members on this forum to replicate this from your photographs & description. Gold stars on this one!

As a degreed industrial designer I feel fully qualified to complement you & your design skills. You have combined aesthetics, functionality and simple elegance in your design.

Your description of the gun is succinct and clearly describes it's function & how you went about making it happen. It would not be difficult for many members on this forum to replicate this from your photographs & description. Gold stars on this one!

Big Thanks Uncle Harry..!!!

A little update I connected to an older 120V wire feed that was given to me. It did not have a gas valve and the tip stayed hot all the time I did not like either so I installed a 24v gas valve and I also installed a heavy duty starter solenoid from a ford truck. Now when I pull the trigger the gas comes on the solenoid slams shut and you have power to the tip. The starter relay can take more amps than this welder will ever produce and it was something I had on hand. Now I can start welding with this Gun.. Ray

Well I welded with this spool gun for the first time tonight the gun works like a dream the welder I have is a little punk on power however I will have to find another.

For the very few that are following this I use to have a airco mini pro 125 120V wire feed I purchased 30 years ago. I sold it ten years ago and now I got it back but not in the same condition. I am restoring it and I will use it as a power supply for this spool gun. It was a real well built welder better than anything put out today just a little obsolete as long as the transformers dont go bad i should be able to repair any other part on it. Ray

any chance on getting prints for your spool gun?

any chance on getting prints for your spool gun?

After I built this one a friend of mine asked me to build him one for tight places he owns a machine shop but no one builds a small unit. I could take pictures on the next one as the assembly goes if that will help. As far as prints even though i took drafting years ago I probably could not make a very good print for you I just make this stuff up as I go. Ray

Even sketches with some dimensions along with photo's will do. I can make up actual prints for you from sketches if you like. Being on disability I have plenty of time to make prints. I can even put them in pdf.

Even sketches with some dimensions along with photo's will do. I can make up actual prints for you from sketches if you like. Being on disability I have plenty of time to make prints. I can even put them in pdf.

I may just take you up on that.. Thanks Ray

I never say anything I don't mean. So anytime you want, just let me know.

Back