Honeoye mill? Edit possibly Cheng Ki

Well, I've been trying to research things. I found a couple things. I'm going on the premise that Cheng Ki is the manufacturer, based in Taiwan. I found a listing of catalogs in the Smithsonian which listed Cheng Ki as manufacturer or machine tools, specifically turret milling machines:
Link to Smithsonian record

I also found a couple of auctions on the 'bay. The first one is badged as "Jackson", above the plate with model in serial number which list it as Cheng Ki:
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

This particular machine also has a badge on the pedestal which I am 99% sure is the importer, since Nan Tai is still in business as an importer from Taiwan:
s-l1600 (1).jpg

The second example I found was sold on the 'bay auction site and was only listed as a Cheng Ki milling machine. It appears to me to have lost the 'brand' badge above it at some point:
s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

So, all of that lead me to the conclusion that Cheng Ki was the original manufacturer in Taiwan. I'm pretty sure they sold them to anyone and were willing to rebadge it to your brand.

The only thing this does for me is convince me the machine was made in Taiwan, the rest of the information is just interesting i guess.

Well where you at with it ?? Inquiring minds want to know ya know ??....................... :grin:

Well where you at with it ?? Inquiring minds want to know ya know ??....................... :grin:

I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now. The machine is in my new shop building, soon to be covered in plastic until I get my spray foam insulation done. link to my shop build. I'm waiting on the spray insulation and can't even run power, until I get that done I can't do anything in the building.

But, I'm not just waiting. I've ordered the book on rebuilding a Bridgeport, as well as some new wipes. I've pretty much decided to tear it down so I can clean and paint and 'fix' things before I put it in place. I know me, and I know that if I don't do it now, it likely wont get done until I am forced to.

My machine is missing the clutch for the knee lift, and the matching handle. I'm trying to understand how the clutch attaches to the shaft and turns, I cant see a keyway or anything.

Gotcha, I now have serious shop envy goin on !!
I watched Barry's videos from H&W Machine on YouTube on tear down and re-assembly of bridgeports
they were very helpful, other than some minor differences in manufacturing the same thing...
That knee drive is a face spline and the imports are the same as B port E bay probably has em ............ :encourage:

There isnt normally a clutch.on the knee. The handle drives the pinion gear directly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

These 2 parts are what I'm missing. The shaft is there sticking out, the dial and lock is there, but no splined part, I thought it was called a clutch. Obviously the handle is missing as well. PO had vise grips on the shaft for elevation change, he said he hardly ever used it.

From this pic, it looks like there is a keyway, does that sound right?

$_57.JPG

That's the stuff, the contact/drive area is a face spline there should be a keyway on the pinion shaft
stickin out of the knee for the drive and handle to attatch to..........

I second the H&W Machine videos. I don't waste time with YouTube, just my preference and tastes, but I did spend some time on HW's mill rebuild videos. They translated well enough to my Lagun, and that raised my confidence level until I learned my way around the new mill.

Finally had a chance to do a bit of checking. 2 things I found; the spindle has about .005" run out when turned by hand, and has a little 'rattle' when I try to wiggle it, cant feel it move, cant see it move, but can hear it. It's almost like the bearings need more preload, but I dont think they are loaded at all.
The other thing I found, and I honestly kick myself for not checking this or at least noticing, is on the right hand side of the table, the leadscrew passes through the bracket attached to the table. At some point it obviously had a power feed unit on it, the space is still there. Problem is there is no bearing journal for the lead screw to turn in. Hope that makes sense.

I did test the table as much as I could. I tightened the gibbs and moved the table to each extreme. I didn't notice it binding at the ends at all. This has me hopeful.

So, my plan seems to be coming into focus. looks like I'm going to plan on a refurb. Plan right now is to disassemble, clean, and strip the paint. Several places have paint missing and gouges through the sickly blue filler. I'm going to strip to bare metal, at that point I will evaluate the castings and see if I need any filler to cover any real nasty casting voids. Next, I will probably use foam rollers to roll on a correct gray color*.

*Fun fact: A few years ago I came into possession of a 1939 Delta Unisaw. Long story short, over on the OWWM forum there were long detailed discussions/arguments over what was the ''correct' shade of gray. I also came into possession of an original 1939 Delta catalog, in which Delta sold gray paint for touching up their machines. In fact, Delta catalog list 3 shades of gray in that catalog. I am convinced that there is no 'correct' color across the board for any brand, and that manufacturers painted on whatever shade of color they were sent. So, I'm not overly concerned with finding the 'correct' color for this machine.

I'll start the refurb with the base, knee and table. After that is done, I'll move to the head. Probably new bearing just to be sure.

I went into this purchase of the opinion that the price was right and considered it a project. I was right so far lol

Do you plan to re-add a power feed? If, so, it will include a needle bearing. If not, you can probably get the bearing number from the bracket at the other end of the table. I installed a power feed on my Chinese "Bridgeport clone" PM mill. The bering in mine was a 6204 (20mm ID).

Back