How Many of You Guys Have Multiple Same Tools? Also, I Need Your Opinion

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi,
As many of you guys already know, my 1 car garage woodworking/metalworking workshop is cramped. My good guy "friend" has been storing in his garage my late 1930's Atlas floor drill press that I bought a few months ago. Here is a pic:
00d0d_RZ6C7Aexna_600x450-2.jpg
He now is asking me to pick it up. So, given the fact that I have multiple drill presses, I made the painful decision to let go of my vintage Craftsman King Seely drill press. I already have my mill drill, the Atlas floor drill press, and a brand new (bought a year or so ago but haven't used it yet) Chinese "Wen" brand drill that has variable speed with digital readout, and some laser centering thing. Here is a stock photo of it:
57d660fe-77cb-463b-a649-536e5d7e026f_1.39ffbcf9edef78b3f06a8310879be9d2.jpeg

I got the below Craftsman drill press for $30, it runs well, and is just pure eye candy for me.
20180716_144018.jpg
Do any of you guys have multiples of the same tools, like I do?

Maybe I am a tool hoarder. I just appreciate good vintage machinery.
Anyways, I plan on using the solid steel workbench, that my main South Bend 9A came on, as a welding table/general workbench. The steel top is 1/2" thick.
As for the South Bend, I was planning on making a workbench for it out of 2 vintage steel workbench cabinets and a 1-3/4" thick butcher block tabletop that I have in storage, along with a chip pan.

When I bought my wheel/pulley balancing stand from this elderly machinist awhile ago, I noticed how his steel welding table had 2 woodworking vises on it. I mentioned how unusual that was, and he said it came like that when he bought it from George Lucas' (Star Wars dude) workshop at his ranch here in San Rafael. The machinist man told me that the woodworking vises were handy for holding long items. Below is a pic I took of his square workbench:
20180213_141400.jpg
Yes, that purse in the pic is mine. I actually own a purse, lol.

Anyways. I already have a 10" wide jaw old Columbian woodworking vise. I have been interested in having 2 woodworking vises on my welding table/workbench, like the one the machinist has. I have been looking on Craigslist for the same/similiar model vise. Today, I found it. Here is a pic:
01010_62UCAoZYFYZ_600x450.jpg
I contacted the seller, and offered my Craftsman drill press as a trade. The seller accepted, and now wants to arrange a meetup to trade. Now, I am having 2nd thoughts on getting rid of my Craftsman drill. I originally felt I should keep the new "Wen" drill since it had variable speed, digital readout, and some laser thing, but now wonder if that is the one I should give up instead of the Craftsman.

If I were your good friend, what would you advise me to do?

If you have multiples of the same kinds of tools, please share.

Maybe I am not so weird afterall, hopefully ;-)

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Oh gosh, I think you'll get an avalanche of responses to that question Susan LOL
One good tool just isn't enough! I have 2 bandsaws, 3 lathes, 2 dremel motors, 2 corded drills, 3 makita cordless ones- and big bunches of hand tools
Only one milling machine (so far) :D and two drill presses- one working, one disassembled- bench grinder
mark
ps one vintage ac welder, 3 oscilloscopes, + other test equipment

Last edited:
I own one of the "Wen" type drills, just with a different color and brand name. It's okay, variable speed is cool. I could care less about the misaligned chinese lasers or the digital tach (holes I drill don't care about 4-digit numbers, just need to be in the right ballpark). The runout at the chuck is pretty bad, keeps me from using it most of the time. My sturdy old floor drill press is my go-to. So from someone who has both types of drill press, I'd ditch the china equipment first. That Atlas is a real beaut; I bet it runs true and smooth. That would be my choice to hang on to.

For me, I don't have room for the first addition of the tools I want so keeping multiple copies is a non-starter. When I find something I like better or find I don't use, I either give the old tool so someone not a lucky as me or sell cheap to move it quickly.

I would keep the Craftsman. Old machines in good working order will most likely outlive the new machines out there.

I have two mills, one a CNC and the other a mill/drill, and two lathes. I also have multiple welders, two MIG, an AC buzz box and AC/DC stick welder, and a weld/gen and a spot welder.When it comes to hand tools, many multiples.

One advantage to multiple drill presses is you can set each up for a different operation which can cut down on tool changes. If it were me, I would keep them if possible. Of course, space is always a consideration. If you are truly limited for space, well something has to go. Maybe the sofa?;)

Duplicate tools? Well, I guess so!

I had a large shop (2+ car garage) in Oregon for 20+ years and a smaller shop (½ of a 2 car garage, ~4 5 years) in Tempe. My wife and I would spend summers in Oregon, the rest of the year in AZ. We've now sold both these houses and bought a house with large shop here in Chandler.
2 lathes (9x19 & 12x24), 2 mills (mini & RF-30 clone), 2 1x42 belt/6" Scotchbiite wheel sanders, about 4 bench grinders, 2 drill presses, 2 Ryobi BT3000 table saws, 2 wood cutting band saws, 2 4x6 metal cutting band saws, lots of duplicated hand tools, etc. Needless to say, I've been very busy trying to get all this organized.

An amateur machinist friend wisited a while ago. When he first looked at it from the door, he said it would take me a year to get organized. After a tour, he changed his estimate to 1 ½ years!

I have two shops. My double garage is for wood work, welding, larger projects like boats etc., while a spare bedroom in my house is for machining, electrical, and small projects. So i have two of most things. Only one mini lathe and one mill, but that suits me. If I were you, I'd keep the old stuff, much better quality. When I do need a tool I don't have, I will search out old quality tools.

Susan, give him your Bridgeport angle head instead.

I only have 3 working drill presses 2 Walker Turner and 1 Atlas Powerking (my wife uses for jewelry) and two others (Walker Turner) just in case :) I also have 4 working bench grinders, 2 Craftsman 6" & 7" , 1 Sioux badged Doerr 10", and an unknown that may be German 6" + 2"Belt. I also have 2 spares, boh working but need bearings 1 Rockwell badged Baldor 6" and a Dayton badged Doerr 8" IIRC.

Back