How many people are waiting on their new PM lathes...

I currently have a 1440TL on order, I originally placed my order on Dec/22 but have changed it twice since. I originally had ordered the 1440 2-SM, then changed my order to a 1440GT, finally settled on the 1440TL. It’s supposed to be in June/July sometime.

I ordered a 1340GT on 9/8/22. When I checked last week I was told it should get to PM late April or early May. We'll see.
Same boat as mine then...Wonder how long after they receive it they ship it my way..

Looking at the icontainers chart say 22 to 55 day to New York. wonder why the Extra 33 days is in play...

Last edited:
Yep I wish we had them all in stock at all times, but we can not have enough output to keep up with the orders. We have well over 1000 machines of various models in stock right now, but also around 400 backorders of various models. Some models can keep up, some can not. Guess that is just how it is. Note to the one post - We do have one 1640TL left in stock, but the 1440TL is coming in the summer like you had said.

Most orders that we take and fill are not backorders, but some certainly are and those are what people seem to post about since they are waiting. I don't like to wait either! Our factory for the T and GT series can only produce so many machines per year at the current size. We have shipments coming in monthly of those T and GT models. They are booked out until mid 2024 with all the orders we have in, only so many can be made and shipped.

Yep I wish we had them all in stock at all times, but we can not have enough output to keep up with the orders. We have well over 1000 machines of various models in stock right now, but also around 400 backorders of various models. Some models can keep up, some can not. Guess that is just how it is. Note to the one post - We do have one 1640TL left in stock, but the 1440TL is coming in the summer like you had said.

Most orders that we take and fill are not backorders, but some certainly are and those are what people seem to post about since they are waiting. I don't like to wait either! Our factory for the T and GT series can only produce so many machines per year at the current size. We have shipments coming in monthly of those T and GT models. They are booked out until mid 2024 with all the orders we have in, only so many can be made and shipped.
So uhm, if I order a 728TV Mill as an accessory to my lathe can I get free shipping or maybe some tooling thrown in so I can mill the T-Nut for my Lathe... :) Also thank you so much for all the phone time answering all my question about the 727V vs 728TV, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
lol I called PM and asked... my lathe is on a ship called Ever Fair - Vessel Tracking says its in route from Savannah Georgia to NY.

Hopefully I only have 60 days left till my new PM-1236T arrives mid May, each day that passes makes the next day seem longer... I hate this antsy feeling cause now I want to call & see what boat its on and start tracking it like others have done.. I think maybe its because its my first new lathe.

Then I got to thinking I cant be the only one waiting, so I am curious how many others here are waiting on their new lathes too..? Is it your first new lathe..? and are you going to track it on its way..?

lol, so who else here is just dying while waiting on their new lathe ?

Shows I recommend binge watching on Netflix while you wait, Alone - Survival in Canada, Death by Magic, Outlast - team survival in Alaska, Thanks Mike.
You are not the only one! I waited for over two years to get my 1440 GT. Each time I would call it was Oct, then Nov, etc…

Ultimately it took over two years to get my lathe. Some of that could have been COVID so I’ll cut them a little slack, but much of it is not.

In general QMTs is very bad at estimating delivery times. That was my experience with them.

The upside, the machines are very high quality.

I currently have a 1440TL on order, I originally placed my order on Dec/22 but have changed it twice since. I originally had ordered the 1440 2-SM, then changed my order to a 1440GT, finally settled on the 1440TL. It’s supposed to be in June/July sometime.
What was your reasoning for the changes? I'm in the market right now. Was thinking the 1440-2-SM but called to see how long the waiting list was. I was curious based on this thread when I might really see something. I was informed that they do have several 1440 BV in stock that had some discoloration from a cleaner used at the factory. No issues with functionality and full warranty plus a significant discount. Haven't talked to their tech support to understand what was different between the SM and the BV

My 1440-2-SM-V is finally on a ship, the Georg Maersk!
Scheduled to pass thru Panama 5-3-23 and arrive in Baltimore around 5-15-23.
Then on to Pittsburg for QC check. If all goes well I hope to see it by early June.
Ordered 1-24-22 so maybe close to 17 months wait...

I was also offered the BV and passed on it.
The two machines have similar capability's .
The SM has some improvements that seemed worth the wait.
a few of them are:
a little lower and higher RPMs
more cross slide travel
more compound travel
wider thread pitch range
higher feed rates for both saddle and cross slide
flat multi v belt drive
3 hp v 2hp
to name a few

Yes I know it is a Chinese Machine but it suits my needs (wants:)
I currently have a Chinese G4003G that has some rough castings and is very precise.
I expect the SM will meet or exceed that precision and finish.
Dan

So, just got my official PM letter that says my lathe has arrived... After it is Checked & Inspected they will ship it out to me.

I also bought a Crane Scale cause I want to see the actual weight of the lathe...
1681871843416.pngIMG_20230418_184808_094.jpg

Last edited:
Back