How many people are waiting on their new PM lathes...

I am no longer waiting on my lathe... She arrived today - May 6th 2023. The deliver could have turned into a disaster, about 8" of the pallet jack was hanging off the gate... I watched the Lathe teetering on the edge of the gate as it was being lowered to the ground, fortunately for me there was no incidents. since there was no visible damage to the exterior of the crate right into the garage it went...

It will unfortunately be sitting in its crate a month or so while I finish another project, so first thing tomorrow I will open and inspect the contents cause I'm sure there's a time limit for reporting damage if any is found, then I'll put the crate back on to keep her safe...

I also bought a 2 Ton scale to check actual weight of the lathe during assembly.

Lathe in crate Front View.jpg
Lathe in crate Side View.jpgWeight Scale.jpg

I removed the crate to look over the lathe, the only issues I found inside was cosmetic dings due to less than desirable separation of packed items, the chip pan had chipped paint off in several spots, and a small ding that chipped paint off the splash guard.

Other than a few minor cosmetic things, there was no visible damage to the lathe from shipping, so all is good...

Ill start an assembly, set up and break in thread once I get going with this.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't ordered my PM-1660TL yet since we are just getting ready to build the new garage/workshop. I wonder if I should think about ordering now so that delivery would coincide with completion of construction? If you are not ready to take delivery does your unit go to the next buyer on the list? Or will they hold it?

Chip pan is going to get a lot uglier once hot chips and oil start hitting it, the paint will just bubble off. Get a large low profile aluminum cooking sheet pan to slide on top of the chip pan to catch the hot chips.

In the past, QMT/PM was able to hold my lathe until I moved to ship mine, that was quite a few years ago. So I would contact them, given the backlog for delivery times, I would suggest being on the order list, and/or checking the time frame for that model.

Well, I haven't ordered my PM-1660TL yet since we are just getting ready to build the new garage/workshop. I wonder if I should think about ordering now so that delivery would coincide with completion of construction? If you are not ready to take delivery does your unit go to the next buyer on the list? Or will they hold it?
Pm told me they could not hold it longer than 60 days and would start charging a storage fee after that, if you cancel the order the paid receipt clearly states you'll forfeit 20% of the total order.

The ancillary pool & storage shed I'm building is about 70% complete, when that's done ill start on the new lathe.

Chip pan is going to get a lot uglier once hot chips and oil start hitting it, the paint will just bubble off. Get a large low profile aluminum cooking sheet pan to slide on top of the chip pan to catch the hot chips.

In the past, QMT/PM was able to hold my lathe until I moved to ship mine, that was quite a few years ago. So I would contact them, given the backlog for delivery times, I would suggest being on the order list, and/or checking the time frame for that model.
That is a good idea, a secondary pan will aid in clean up and maybe perforate and filter one side so cutting fluid can still drain.

A quick update on the PM-1440-2SM-V-w/DRO Lathe:-
I was notified yesterday that the shipment is at the warehouse in Pittsburgh...FINALY!
(ordered on 1/24/22)
Precision Matthews is inspecting and running the machines prior to shipping.
All goes well I could see the new lathe in a couple of weeks.
The old lathe-G4003G is being picked up on June 9th so I am hoping that I won't be lathe less for long:)
Dan

My 1440 2V was delivered the 19th, last Friday.

We decided to have delivered verses going and picking up. ABF delivered and had 5k forklift on hand to unload.
It was in perfect condition, it’s wired, leveled, filled with oil and run for an hour.
The gentleman who bought my PM1130 didn’t make it down as planned. Coming on June the 8th.
Really like the heavier machine.

A quick update on the PM-1440-2SM-V-w/DRO Lathe:-
I was notified yesterday that the shipment is at the warehouse in Pittsburgh...FINALY!
(ordered on 1/24/22)
Precision Matthews is inspecting and running the machines prior to shipping.
All goes well I could see the new lathe in a couple of weeks.
The old lathe-G4003G is being picked up on June 9th so I am hoping that I won't be lathe less for long:)
Dan
22 or 2023?

The ancillary pool & storage shed I'm building is about 70% complete, when that's done ill start on the new lathe.
Do not store your chemicals in the shed. Get a plastic thingy mobob and store them outside. They will rust your lathe. I had enough of inside shed storage, and I don't even have my lathe in the shed. It rusts all ferrous metal, and etched non-ferrous metals.

Do not store your chemicals in the shed. Get a plastic thingy mobob and store them outside. They will rust your lathe. I had enough of inside shed storage, and I don't even have my lathe in the shed. It rusts all ferrous metal, and etched non-ferrous metals.
Thanks for heads up... Ya Chems are nasty....

Just yard stuff, off season pool item, Xmas tree, Materials such as steel and sheet goods and the like... Lathe stays in garage .:)

Back