How many people are waiting on their new PM lathes...

So, just got my official PM letter that says my lathe has arrived... After it is Checked & Inspected they will ship it out to me.
Letter???
Like an actual showed up in your mailbox letter?
Just curious.

My 1440-2-SM-V is finally on a ship, the Georg Maersk!
Scheduled to pass thru Panama 5-3-23 and arrive in Baltimore around 5-15-23.
Then on to Pittsburg for QC check. If all goes well I hope to see it by early June.
Ordered 1-24-22 so maybe close to 17 months wait...

I was also offered the BV and passed on it.
The two machines have similar capability's .
The SM has some improvements that seemed worth the wait.
a few of them are:
a little lower and higher RPMs
more cross slide travel
more compound travel
wider thread pitch range
higher feed rates for both saddle and cross slide
flat multi v belt drive
3 hp v 2hp
to name a few

Yes I know it is a Chinese Machine but it suits my needs (wants:)
I currently have a Chinese G4003G that has some rough castings and is very precise.
I expect the SM will meet or exceed that precision and finish.
Dan
If you knew it would have take 17 months... would you have gotten a different machine..?
I got lucky and only had to wait about 4 months.

If you knew it would have take 17 months... would you have gotten a different machine..?
That's where I'm at. Unfortunately there don't seem to be may options in stock or reasonable delivery. PM is pretty far out and appears to be something of a crapshoot when things will actually arrive. Grizzley is as bad. Summit machine has their version of the 1440 made in taiwan in stock but a bit more pricey than the equivalent PM machine and they don't do lift gate delivery which for a home shop is a challenge. Anything out there that I'm missing that I shouldn't?

Maybe...during the wait I have seen a few used machines older, bigger, heaver.
I am restricted in size by the space I have.
Also did not want to jump up in tooling size i.e. beyond the bx tool post and D1-5 spindle mount.

You are lucky to have such a short wait.
The 12x36T is a very nice machine!
Dan
My bad - I should have stated an official Email... That would have been hilarious if an actual letter came in the mail.

The PM 1440-2-SM-V offers a lot of nice features, and upgrades from the previous versions that had some issues. I am not aware of any other lathe package that offers the features at that price point. Different distributors may have the same looking machines but the build specifications can be quite different, as well as post delivery support. Inventory back log is still an industry wide issue, I ordered some electrical parts 3 months ago, and every week I get an inventory update that it is delayed another week. So the same frustration and holds up builds that other people are waiting for. I do not see that this is as a particular machine/parts manufacturer/distributor issue, it is both a production and a distribution backlog. Buying used is always an option, but often there are significant issues that are costly and time consuming to repair. You often need working machines to fix the broken ones.

The only other new lathe that would be in the same size and in inventory would be the Eisen 1440GE, which is quite a bit more and 3 phase only. So one would need to add in the cost of a RPC, digital phase converter (Phase Perfect PTS05), or VFD which would add about 1.5K to the cost.

Just got a call from the freight company, My lathe will arrive in town next Tuesday and is set for delivery on Saturday the 6th.

Unfortunately I haven't completed my storage shed project just yet, So the lathe will have to stay crated in the corner till that is done first. I'm guessing I should probably open the crate up and do a thorough inspection before storing it.

Question - besides the blatantly obvious issues that my occur from shipping, Is there anything I should be looking for after I accept delivery...?

Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
That's exciting! I think once you inspect the create for any damage and except it, I would at least pop the creat open and check inside. The feet to the lathe were not packed very well, they came loose and damaged the case to the ER40 colletts and chipped up some paint. No real damage but something to think about.

I spoke to John at PM last week. They had 4 14402V in stock. What I was told is these are replacing the 1440BV and have upgraded head stock and electronics. These have the factory blemishes, discoloration on ways, but very light only cosmetic issue and have the PM 3 year warranty.
1300.00 discount is a good thing..

I’m picking mine up on May 12th..

Last edited:
Back