How many people are waiting on their new PM lathes...

I just came across this video that discusses some of the problems the canal is experiencing. It was interesting and educational.

In a nutshell, the water level going down each year just prior to summer is normal, but this year the drought is the worst its been in a long time. It sounds like part of this is the new, bigger locks for the wider ships requires significantly more water, so the lake gets drained faster. I saw in the video that they have cross flow for the locks, so they are able to save some water. One comment on the video mentioned they should have a reservoir at the bottom that pumps the water back up to the lake level, basically recycling the water. That would work, but at a high cost in electricity. I did some rough calculations and depending on what electricity costs and how much water gets recycled, that could cost in the $25 million per year range.

Well at least I heard from PM. Had an email late last week. I have a 14-40 2SMV on order. When ordered it was due late August to September. Now moved to "hopefully" Mid December.

Just received my PM1440GT last night. I'm in PA, so shipping wasn't too far. Was an "interesting" experience. I paid for liftgate service, but they loaded the machine in the truck in such a fashion that it was impossible for the driver to move it with his pallet jack. Needed to be turned 90 degrees for him to get the pallet jack under it. I used a portable winch I built years ago to drag it around 90 degrees. Then, it gets to the liftgate, but the pallet doesn't fit on the liftgate while on the pallet jack. He gets it within 10" and we dragged it fully onto the lift gate with my tractor. Then he lowers the liftgate, but he can't get the pallet jack back under it. He asks if I'll just unload it from the liftgate with my tractor, which I genuinely didn't expect to lift it, but thankfully it did (just barely, did NOT feel stable enough to try and go further). I set it down right behind the liftgate, and I used my pallet jack from there. . .

Was "fun", I guess? :p

Felt bad for the driver, they totally screwed him the way they loaded it, and then didn't give him enough equip to do the job.

I’ll be picking up my 1340 GT lathe tomorrow, short road trip. Ordering last October 2022… seems I’ve had several projects I wish I had a lathe… now I’ll have it and I’ll probably won’t have a specific project for awhile… just the way it goes. I first will have to finish stand and go through all the docs I could find to hookup the VFD for 3 phase and extra controls.. and DRO.

I’ll be picking up my 1340 GT lathe tomorrow, short road trip. Ordering last October 2022… seems I’ve had several projects I wish I had a lathe… now I’ll have it and I’ll probably won’t have a specific project for awhile… just the way it goes. I first will have to finish stand and go through all the docs I could find to hookup the VFD for 3 phase and extra controls.. and DRO.
so true on the specific projects!

Add me to the list of people that went to start leveling a 1440GT and ran out of enough adjustment in the included bolts to hit level on a pitched garage floor. No problem. . I'll just goto the hardware store and get longer bolts. Hmmm, better measure first. 1/2" bolt. Ok, cool, pretty standard, now let me check the pitch: 12 TPI

aaaaaaaaaand not gonna find that anywhere local (BSW thread)

All part of the fun. Not complaining, but would have been sweet if they threw longer bolts in those holes.

Well, it's finally here... but what's in the box?

When I got home, I thought.. probably should have looked inside before I drove the 2 hours home just to make sure for my sake (and theirs) we got the right lathe. Picking up from PM is a pretty smooth process, on my trailer within 10 minutes of showing up.

This one, I had to drag off my trailer, wasn't as easy as the 833TV mill based on the pallet configuration. But, my trailer and solid ramps and a dip before the drive basically made a flat plane from trailer to drive... dragged it off with some furniture movers, then I could get the pallet jack under. Sliding (slow) worked better than expected.

1694780598109.png

Add me to the list of people that went to start leveling a 1440GT and ran out of enough adjustment in the included bolts to hit level on a pitched garage floor. No problem. . I'll just goto the hardware store and get longer bolts. Hmmm, better measure first. 1/2" bolt. Ok, cool, pretty standard, now let me check the pitch: 12 TPI

aaaaaaaaaand not gonna find that anywhere local (BSW thread)

All part of the fun. Not complaining, but would have been sweet if they threw longer bolts in those holes.
Just a FYI, but 'leveling' a lathe means that the headstock end of the lathe bed is on the same plane (i.e. 'level') with the tailstock end. Leveling a lathe could also be stated as 'removing the twist' of the lathe bed.

Back