I Am Not Making This Up

Do you need any Dial calipers? I may have one or two I can send your way. You will have to check them out, I pulled them from the excess tool bin at my last job. Let me know. Tim
Do you mean dial indicators? Are you pushing tools upon a tool hoarder? Just kidding. I have enough dial indicators and dial gauges. Thanks for asking though!

No Ma'am. I apologize if it sounded that way. Simply referring to your desire to continue with your goals even with some of the drawbacks you've had.
Jboob1, thank you for your reply. I didn't take offense to anything you said. I just am very honest about how I feel I buy/obtain too much stuff where it has prevented me from making my workshop. Right now, I can barely get to the washer and dryer in the back if the garage just to do laundry. At the same time, I do feel good knowing the majority of my machinery and accessories are quality items despite my lack of funds. Plus, my attitude is that, if I am going to make a workshop, I want to make sure it's awesome, and hopefully it will inspire other people to get into making stuff.
p.s., I meant jbobb1 !! Your name is really easy to mess up, btw ;-)

Keep in mind, the cost of a vintage item on EBay may have nothing to do with how useful it is. People pay lots of money for lots of things for lots of reasons. I once paid nearly 400 dollars for an item I used precisely never, and sold it after 3 years of moving it out of my way. Anyhow like you said, they can be useful. But I don’t see needing a drawer full of them. I use dividers the same way others have mentioned. Just not often, and if I didn’t have them I wouldn’t be stalled. I use a combination square for a lot of layout type work. But again, if I didn’t have them, I wouldn’t lose any time. Contrast that with dial or digital calipers, which I couldn’t do without. Super useful gadget...20 bucks will buy you a set that are as accurate as most of us need. A micrometer set that ranges from 0-6 inches would be the only way to continue if I didn’t have calipers. Calipers that indicate measurements in thousandths of an inch, in my opinion, essential.

Btw, I had to look it up, but apparently the terms divider and caliper seem to be interchangeable.
Very good way to explain the need for a digital or dial caliper. And not so much need for the other old style dividers…Dave

Susan congrats on your 'find'. Great machines that will work well for you. Second, the calipers at still useful in this day and age, I use my hermaphrodite calipers often. BTW, you got big$$$ woth of tools in about 200$ woth of boxes... for 20? wow!

That parallel alone is woth 50$ in good condition... used.;

Last edited:
Susan congrats on your 'find'. Great machines that will work well for you. Second, the calipers at still useful in this day and age, I use my hermaphrodite calipers often. BTW, you got big$$$ woth of tools in about 200$ woth of boxes... for 20? wow!

That parallel alone is woth 50$ in good condition... used.;
Hi Dabbler, when you say "parallel," I think of those thin bars that go into milling vises to help hold stuff. What is your "parallel" that you are referring to. Thank you in advance for any "schooling."

The picture 20190406_175820 looks like a level also looks like a Starrett parallel from the 1930s. My old mentor had one, and it was ground to a tenth or so when it was new. If it is the parallel version it is very useful...

If it isn't the parallel I think it might be, it still is a nice level!

I don't want to be a collector, and truly want to cut some metal. I just keep on running into deals.

Leave the deals for someone else, why dontcha!

Yeah I see a lot of good deals on machinery, especially this time of year, but just considering the time spent going to look at them is sufficient to stop me. Of course leaving the property somehow turns every quick jaunt into a 3-hour journey - might as well get some errands done while yer out.

Just pick the really ripe fruit. And eat only when hungry. Or, open up a grocery store!

Back