I don't think OSHA would approve,_Lathe and hub repair

I was stationed overseas in a third world country. Unfortunately, this is far too common.

They sure love to pound on things don't they? Channeling their frustrations, no doubt
-M

Yup! I sure liked the look of that high precision bailing wire "cat's whisker" runout indicator. And though the lathe looks very new, I noticed that at the tool clamping bolts on at least one face of the 4-way were all bent over. Crash???

Though cringe-worthy to the max, they did get the job done with the tools they had (though the video doesn't show the final weld).

The guy holding the rod while the other is swinging the sledge directing it INSIDE the center section of the pumpkin to get that sleeve out, that guy has some juevos! Noticed all the bolts on the toolpost too. They were all bent and on the slot side how the hell you do that. Guessing they didn’t replace the chinesium screws on the TP.
All done with crescent wrenches, hammers, and a cutting torch who needs 50k in tools and a 10k toolbox. :rolleyes:

And though the lathe looks very new, I noticed that at the tool clamping bolts on at least one face of the 4-way were all bent over. Crash???

I figured the bent and severely mushroomed hold-down bolts:
ScreenShot244.jpgScreenShot245.jpg

Were just from the cheater pipe used to tighten them:

ScreenShot243.jpg

....and they had a much longer pipe on the chuck key.

-brino

Can you imagine how horrified those men would be if they knew that here in the US, corporations throw
tools and machines in dumpsters because they can't be bothered to sell them, or the lawyers tell them
not to. Those guys are resourceful people doing what they can with what they have. I'd be very interested
in knowing how long that repair lasts.

Over the years I've had a few mechanics work for me that you would think were 3rd world trained. But no.... just dealer trained.
My dealer trained techs are outstanding.
Please Don’t put them all in the same category.
There are plenty of hacks for sure!

Back