I Fought the Bear (and I Won!)

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Figuratively speaking, of course. Not wishing to suffer any further property damage, I decided to fortify the trash can. The object was to force the bear to destroy the container in order to get the trash. Then WM can give me a new one. He spent 20 minutes before giving up. So far, so good. Apologies for the video, it was early and there wasn't much light.

Growing up in East Tennessee, our Boy Scout troop did a lot of backpacking in the Smokey Mountains. Bears loved trying to get our food and were not afraid of us in the least. We could usually run them off by making a lot of noise and waving sticks at them.

Wow,
Was this in Shingletown?
Hungry bear!
We are camping in Greenville, CA. for a few days this week.
We were warned about the bears.

Wow,
Was this in Shingletown?
Hungry bear!
We are camping in Greenville, CA. for a few days this week.
We were warned about the bears.
Yep, most likely the same one that tried to open the door on my car. One neighbor had him tear out a section of fence and siding off the garage. Another had him push hard enough on the garage door it broke the latch and frame.
Judging by the piles of scat he's getting well fed somewhere.

If there aren't bear boxes where you're camping, use a counter-balance hang (and don't sleep under it, DAMHIKT). Never lost our food that way. Don't count on the car like I did. The Dixie fire forced a lot of relocations, more bears in smaller area.

You can see how intelligent the bear is, at one point he grabs each of the new locks .good job and great film.

We did weekend trips down to Greenridge St Park years ago riding 4 wheelers with the work force . Came back to many a wrecked campsites . We have 5 known up in NY roaming the area . Not sure if the bears are worse than the moose , or the cats they introduced . I worry more about the cats , those sneaky SOBs .

Back