[4]

I have made the decision to CNC it!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
the motors and controlers you found are good
110v microwave fan should work, i dont know what it looks like
cnc4.pc has e-stop cheap
and limit switches also
steve

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Right, well I am beginning to understand that what ever I may look at, the power supply needs to be 48v. So I will keep that in mind when I am looking at stuff.. I am pretty set on 425oz motors. It might be over kill, but the way I look at it, they will not be sweating near as much when doing most of their work either.

jumps4

Global Moderator
thats a perfect size for your mill the only way i would go bigger is if i had it in mind to take everything off this mill and put it on a bigger one later
steve

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Well after this one is all done and some time down the road, when I do get around to getting a lathe, that will be the next thing to do, CNC a lathe.. Right now, I am wondering if I should keep the tensioner on the mills Z column or remove it.

jumps4

Global Moderator
Well after this one is all done and some time down the road, when I do get around to getting a lathe, that will be the next thing to do, CNC a lathe.. Right now, I am wondering if I should keep the tensioner on the mills Z column or remove it.

you might want to ask "mgp" in the x2 mini mill cnc conversion what he did I'm not sure.
steve

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I just need to back up a step here. I know that you mentioned your ballscrews early in the thread, but I'm wondering if everyone just orders the X2 kit, complete with mounting hardware, or is there a cheaper place to just get the ballscrews, nuts and thrust bearings to save money?

My stepper kit is in Memphis this morning. Anchorage yesterday. Seems like they had to fly right over my house on the way there. Parachute drop, anyone?

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Hawk,

Well you could just order screws, but you will have to cut them to fit on a lathe, something that I don't have. So I will have to use a kit of some sort for my project. I will be using the CNC Fusion kit.

Steve, I

went through that thread, I noticed that he had the tensioner off of the machine. I got the idea from over at CNC Zone, a poster there said that if you leave it on, it would cause lateral movement on the head. I am not sure if that is a case or not, but if the motor is strong enough (ie 425oz), then there is no reason for it, the motor will be able to move the head on the mill without external help.

Rick,

You are most welcome sir.

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Oh by the way, I read somewhere about some non evasive cleaning chemical that would be good to clean off the grease and stuff off the metal on the machine. Home Depot is where I think it is sold. I need something like that, I don't have a garage which with to work in.

jumps4

Global Moderator
I just need to back up a step here. I know that you mentioned your ballscrews early in the thread, but I'm wondering if everyone just orders the X2 kit, complete with mounting hardware, or is there a cheaper place to just get the ballscrews, nuts and thrust bearings to save money?

My stepper kit is in Memphis this morning. Anchorage yesterday. Seems like they had to fly right over my house on the way there. Parachute drop, anyone?
I would make my own mounts and everything but if you dont have any other mill and lathe to use you would probably need to buy the kit.
the ball screws are reasonable on ebay but you will have to cut to length and grind the end to fit the x axis support bearing at the end of the table.
the bearings for a small mill can be just standard bearings there is no real load on them to justify radial bearings.
If you have everything to build your own it is a fun project and planty of material to look at for ideas.
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
wd40 will disolve the grease without causing it to rust.
steve

7HC

Active User
Registered

By far the least expensive way is to make your own motor mounts and purchase all the other components individually on eBay. You'll need couplers, a power supply and drivers for the motors.
A TB6560 3 or 4 axis driver board is much cheaper than three or four separate drivers and won't require a separate breakout board.
Ball screws while ideal, are by no means essential for all conversions.

M

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have this stepper package enroute, with a TB6560 driver board: http:
//cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270753584100&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160

I also have a 9" lathe and two other mills, so making mounting hardware is my first choice. I'll cruise eBay and see what I can find. Thanks.

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Might be able to order the motors and controllers on monday, I will have to check, but something is getting ordered on monday.

OakRidgeGuy

Active User
Registered
Got it bookmarked Steve, If all goes well, I am ordering the motors and controllers tomorrow.

jumps4

Global Moderator
the uc100 is in effect the same thing as a smooth stepper but without all the headaches, it is a little slower but has no known defects or bugs
uc100 is capable of speeds of over 200 ipm on my mill 4x microstepping. did you watch my mill moving at 200 ipm thats scary cra... that 300lb heads moving down at the table that fast is nerve racking lol
you will be very happy with the uc100
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
i also added a powered usb hub to my systems so i was not drawing 5v from my pc
it's not required though unless you have other things connected using usb power like external dvd drives, external pc powered speakers ect.
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
dennis i'm not sure what your asking, you can get notices in your email for every post, thats how i keep up with everything.
i had an email you posted the question already, thats pretty up to date lol
steve

7HC

Active User
Registered
hi guys is there a way to sticky this so i can keep as refferance and up to date.
Just save it to your 'Favorites' or 'Bookmarks', then you can return to it at any time to find the latest posts.

M

EDIT: Or as Steve said, check the box to notify you of new posts by email. You'll find it under 'Additional options' at the bottom of the page of any post that you make.

M

dennis98277

Active User
Registered
yeah i get those but i want to be able to access this thread without having to search for it

jumps4

Global Moderator
7hc means to
add it to favorites in your internet explorer or what ever you use then you will come straight to this thread.
steve

[5] [7]