Iceland starts erupting

I was just watching the live feed!

Wow. My wife and I were there in August. Hope they can save the town, as well as the power plant that's near by.

Utterly amazing lava fountains. 200 cubic meters/second of lava coming out.

Although they say it's not threatening Grindavik, this aerial view would make me feel nervous if I were a resident. That would be too close to my house.
1703021633931.pngThe evacuated Icelandic town of Grindavik is seen as smoke billows and lava is thrown into the air from a fissure on Tuesday. Viken Kantarci/AFP via Getty Images.

Curious…why are all of the street lights on if the town is evacuated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps there no automated power switch from the power station? The power station was evacuated in November. Or everyone left in a hurry? Lief forgot to turn the lights out when he left town?

Seems magma is building up again and there may be another eruption in a few weeks. They can tell because the ground is rising in the area again. This area previously erupted around 6000 years ago. Apparently the historical pattern is a decade or so of activity and then quiet. But no one can truly predict the future... However it's likely that there will be volcanic activity in the immediate area. Iceland is sitting on top of three tectonic plates, it's rare that things are seismically quiet.

Sad to say, another eruption - even closer to Grindavik. One home is known to have caught on fire due to the lava approach.
1705272207922.png

Here is a view of the lava entering the town. :(
1705272409866.png

Back