Iceland starts erupting

Main eruption and secondary one. The secondary vent is flowing into the town.
1705272610878.png

Wow, I just came back from Iceland last week. Beautiful country! They wouldn't let us anywhere near the magma. The Blue Lagoon Spa was closed while we were there. It reopened after we left. I guess it is closed again.

The houses that are burning in the picture must be fairly new... google earth street view shows empty lots...

-Bear
They were part of a new development. There's some sad owners right now. One of the owners was interviewed and said they left everything behind, and it's gone now. They just have the clothes on their back.

They were part of a new development. There's some sad owners right now. One of the owners was interviewed and said they left everything behind, and it's gone now. They just have the clothes on their back.
Sad but, this isn't a surprise eruption!

Sad but, this isn't a surprise eruption!
No, but if you were kicked out of your house at 2am, by emergency responders, in the midst of earthquakes, I bet you wouldn't be able to take everything with you. Living in a danger zone is always a risk, but still, it is sad to see. Save for December 2023, the local area hadn't seen an eruption in roughly 800 years. Many didn't think there would be a problem staying for a decade or two.

Last edited:
Also, the city has 'defensive berms' that are supposed to prevent lava flows from reaching the town... they may have worked to limit the damage... at least for now... but not prevent it.

-Bear

No, but if you were kicked out of your house at 2am, by emergency responders, in the midst of earthquakes, I bet you wouldn't be able to take everything with you. Living in a danger zone is always a risk, but still, it is sad to see. Save for December 2023, the local area hadn't seen an eruption in roughly 6000 years. Many didn't think there would be a problem staying for a decade or two.
Of course I'm sympathetic but, this has been looming for months. Packing a massive bug out kit and having it ready to go would have been a no brainer! A loaded utility trailer or even a roof top carrier will hold a lot of stuff.

Of course I'm sympathetic but, this has been looming for months. Packing a massive bug out kit and having it ready to go would have been a no brainer! A loaded utility trailer or even a roof top carrier will hold a lot of stuff.
they were asked to leave early on. But they did have time to take most heirlooms or sentimental items. Sometimes denial sets in.

Back