Iceland starts erupting

Also, the city has 'defensive berms' that are supposed to prevent lava flows from reaching the town... they may have worked to limit the damage... at least for now... but not prevent it.

-Bear
Unfortunately the second fissure was inside of the defensive berm, allowing the lava to burn the homes. The yellow lines are protective berms. The red lines (and the black) are where the fissures are. The berms did help some no doubt.
1705363765513.png
There's seismic data to suggest that magma is opening up horizontal channels under ground, which are going under Grindavik. This opens the possibility that a fissure could open anywhere within the town. It's not a good situation at all for the town.

Benedikt Halldórsson of the Icelandic Meteorological Office, says that scientists are now going over measurements and interpreting them, getting news about the extent of the lava and mapping its thickness. "The main thought now is how far the magma flow went, it's pretty clear that it went under the town itself."

One poor gentleman fell into a crevasse that he was trying to repair in Grindavik on January 11th. He has not been found. The ground seems to have swallowed him up. They are still searching for him.

Last edited:
Of course I'm sympathetic but, this has been looming for months. Packing a massive bug out kit and having it ready to go would have been a no brainer! A loaded utility trailer or even a roof top carrier will hold a lot of stuff.
Not going to disagree with you on having a kit is useful. Most had time to get their important stuff out. Some moved back after that last eruption. They figured wrongly that the chances of another eruption were minimal.

Of course, getting out of town is kind of tough when it is blocked by molten lava. This is the only road out of town. Only other way out is by sea.
1705364387245.png

Unfortunately the second fissure was inside of the defensive berm, allowing the lava to burn the homes. The yellow lines are protective berms. The red lines (and the black) are where the fissures are. The berms did help some no doubt.
View attachment 474482

I was guessing that was what happened... I had read that the second fissure was only 200m from the edge of town. After looking at it on Google Earth, I didn't see anything nearly that close that could have been a berm.

It's not a good situation...

-Bear

It seems that the Government of Iceland will be buying out the properties in Grindavik. This includes settling peoples mortgages. The gov't doesn't think people will be able to return home in the foreseeable future. It is unknown how long this eruptive cycle will last, years, decades or centuries. Next eruption, based on previous events, is expected within a month or two. Not great for the residents, but at least they won't be bankrupted, or crushed by debt on properties that they cannot live in.

I certainly have to reread this thread. Grateful the gov't is providing for the people (in actuality the people are providing for the people).

Fat chance that would happen here. Mike

t seems that the Government of Iceland will be buying out the properties in Grindavik. This includes settling peoples mortgages. The gov't doesn't think people will be able to return home in the foreseeable future. It is unknown how long this eruptive cycle will last, years, decades or centuries. Next eruption, based on previous events, is expected within a month or two. Not great for the residents, but at least they won't be bankrupted, or crushed by debt on properties that they cannot live in.

Fat chance that would happen here. Mike
Sad to say, I have to agree with you. We seem to be a nation of rugged individualists (in the US) with a lowered sense of community, at least at some levels. Don't want to go beyond that, as it strays into politics. In Iceland it would seem the people look out for each other (more), perhaps because it has been so hard to eke out a living in that nation.

Anyways, this thread is about volcanic events in the land of fire and ice...
Link to the Iceland Met Office. https://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/volcanic-unrest-grindavik

Back