In Memorium: Bob Korves

Yes Jeff, thank you, very sad news to hear.

You're never far from our thoughts.

Last edited:
This is the part of Bob that connected with me. He was the “face” of H-M, the friendly in “The friendly machinist forum”,for me because he was the guy who seemed to be in the same areas I was most interested in. And his responses were the most relatable for me. He was one of my heroes here. And as such on a pedestal I aspired to. There was a thread about precision tool room stones and I realized I really needed a set but knew I couldn’t afford a set. I mentioned I see the need but was hard for me to justify.

Bob PM me and said if I’d purchase the stones he would show me how to do it on his surface grinder gave me a timeline of how long it would take including cleaning up the mess :) I only wish I’d been able to work out how to get up there to meet him and do that project together. I’ve had this happen a couple of times now where guys whom I admire I had a chance to meet and time ran out.
He was grinding stones before all the you tubers made it fashionable.
He helped with my first set, still working great.
I have adapted what he taught me and have ground several other sets.
Thanks again Bob.

Bob instructed me on how to make a test bar and correctly do the 2 collar test. He will be missed here and undoubtedly a lot more places! If not for him I would be turning a lot of erroneous tapers!

My very best wishes to Bob and Alice!

I recall seeing and enjoying his posts, and look forward to seeing some more of them in the future!

Bob passed away last Friday. He was my mentor and friend. Incredibly talented and knowledgeable. He will be missed, but his legacy goes on with the fellowship he created with other hobby machinists throughout California and Nevada—from Nipoma (Bill Dolengowitz RIP) to Reno (Paul Baygents) to Ukiah (Aaron Woods). We lost a true mensch.

Back