In Memorium: Michael Yim (Mikey)

The thing about Mikey that I found to be unique is that everyone here liked him; he really embodied the Friendly Machinist spirit here, not just talking the talk but walking the walk! It's sad he is gone but will not be forgotten through his many, many contributions to all of us here. Rest in Peace Mikey.

So sorry to hear that. Sounded by the original post his wife had the obit.
Actually, my wife did not 'have' the obit. I was awake and frustrated for several hours that night because we couldn't find any information or make contact with Mike. About 2:30 or 3:00 in the morning, my wife had the good sense to do a search for an obituary. That's how we made the discovery.

Regards

I was stunned when I read this yesterday, but I just could not find the words.......

Mikey was always so generous. His hard won knowledge of HSS sharpening, his lived experience of how much real work small machines can do was all fully and cheerfully given away to help others. He quite literally "wrote the book" on HSS sharpening and posted it here freely for everyone.

Yesterday the world seemed a little darker.

However all the caring responses here and especially this:
we just have to pass his generosity and kindness forward...
have helped me know his generous spirit is alive and well in all of us here.

Thanks,
Brian

Four years ago, I read Mikey's essay "Honest - all I ever wanted to do was make some stuff ..." https://www.machinistblog.com/honest-all-i-ever-wanted-to-do-was-make-some-stuff/ At the time, I was thinking of buying a lathe to modify a chocolate-making machine. The essay played a big role in my deciding to buy a Sherline lathe.

I found Mikey here at hobby-machinist.com. He was super helpful to me, in answering my questions -- in posts and in the "conversations" feature of this site. He even pointed me to Ebay sales and coached me on how to bid. I acquired: a height gage, boring bars, inserts, and a Criterion boring head.

I hoped that Mikey would see his mentoring of me come to fruition in some small innovations for the Sherline lathe and mill.

I am sad that Mikey has passed away.

This has been kind of tough to process. It feels weird to be upset over someone I've never met, but he was a huge help to me. Not only in spending my money properly, but how to use what I purchased. I got so much information from his posts, and he would always be willing to look over stuff and let me know where I went wrong or how to do something new. He was truly an embodiment of the best of hobby-machinist and the concept of being friendly and open. Particularly to new people that didn't even know what questions to ask. Our little corner of the net is darker for the loss.

He was one of the best teachers I've ever seen. Just had a way of putting things that make even complex things seem reasonable to understand. And in one of the more difficult communication mediums, text. It's so easy to misunderstand things in text form, but I never felt lost reading his work. It was even interesting and entertaining.

One of the best mentors I've ever had, and a great friend, even without meeting in person. I've even caught myself finishing something interesting up and thinking "I gotta show Mikey this". So check it out if you want Mikey, but don't you have something better to do now? :) Godspeed my friend, hopefully between us all, we can fill the hole you left. Eventually.

Back