Indexable Inserts

Shame. Proper, fine, Scotch Whisky is a a real delight.

None of the cheap blended Whiskey (Note the E) is ever good (Bells et-al).
LMAO, the lack of E wasn't an accident...... I try to behave and when I fail its usually with the demon Tequila or Jack Black...LOL

I had to look all over for what inserts fit my set. I eventually came across another listing using the part number on the tools.
Remind me to engrave the insert number into the tool holder
I made a list of the insert numbers and added it to my lathe manual.

LMAO, the lack of E wasn't an accident...... I try to behave and when I fail its usually with the demon Tequila or Jack Black...LOL

If you're talking about a drink that's been made in Scotland, Canada, or Japan, use the spelling without the e. so it reads whisky.

When referring to drinks distilled in the United States or Ireland, use the e so it reads whiskey.

This page (<< link) just muddies the water before it clears the water up again

This is OT, so getting back on topic, Just marked the inserts I need so I can order some next week... Finally!

Similar to my method and also ensures you will always know what you need. I tend to add an "averaged" price too, so my wallet does not keel over in shock!

If you take what I said within context the mater is subjective for the most part. You have to buy the insert that fits the holder but most inserts are noted in both systems, if your discussing the holder, its being clamped into your tool post with bolt(s) and if your tool post holds a 10mm then a 3/8" will work. Again, there isn't much choice once you commit, you'll buy the insert that fits your holder.

When I wrote the original reply I understood the question to be about the holder.... :confused:
Sorry, I think there's been a miscommunication. I was replying to Grifter.

It sounds like it would be worth you getting to know what the ISO codes for inserts actually translate to.

The previously mentioned book would help with that (and more besides) but you can find articles explaining what the different parts of the ISO specs relate to and the possible values of those parts all over the Internet for no cost.

Once you have that information, you can measure the space for the insert in your holders, look up the required ISO spec and you'll know what you need to buy.

Last edited:
If you're talking about a drink that's been made in Scotland, Canada, or Japan, use the spelling without the e. so it reads whisky.

When referring to drinks distilled in the United States or Ireland, use the e so it reads whiskey.

This page (<< link) just muddies the water before it clears the water up again

This is OT, so getting back on topic, Just marked the inserts I need so I can order some next week... Finally!
As previously noted, there is a reason for the spelling and if that is offensive sorry....

When I get back in the shop I will write them on the wall.
I have 10 of each insert now so min of 20 edges …..the time I spend on the lathe I should not need any. I will forget what the scribble on the wall means before I need inserts.

Back