Info needed for installing/setting up pm940m

on mine the thicker part of the gib looks to be the side up. I loosen it a lot and tried to tighten the lower one but it does not go by much. How can I remove the gib and check how is it. I can suspend the head on the engine crane with the lift straps I got when moved it in place.

Upper
1701282051280.jpeg

Lower
1701282082244.jpeg

I lowered the head on some wood pieces the lower screw for the z axis and unscrewed the bolt of the gib underneath a bit and the upper one too and the head will not move. How do I move the gib out to make it lose. On the downfeed is way easier then going upward.

Again sorry for my ignorance.

Tim
You need to support the head out under the quill area also. Just supporting it close to the column leave too much weight cantilevered thus keeping pressure on the gib. I ran my table out under the quill and placed the supporting material perpendicular to the table on either side of the quill so as I let the head down it wasn't placing any load on the gib.

I used the clamp here to try and squeeze a bit the head toward the column while resting on the wood

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 22
So I need to fix the head with 2x4 for support and check the gibs for damage bends from the locks.

For the pm940m what face mill/ shell mill do you guys suggest for cast iron steel. I don’t plan on being aggressive as I am relaxed on the time this is more for fun and make stuff up.

Also what motor driver are you using for the z axis. I might keep x/y manual but the z is definitely going electric.

You guys amazing, thanks a lot for the help
This is the face mill I have, also if you look at the site, there is a 1" and I have that one also.

I hope it does the trick the spindle is fully retracted
That should do it, you just have to let your table take the weight, if it is cantilevered the it has a pinch on the top of the gib.

If you want to remove the gib, you will likely need to take a soft drift (brass or wood) and tap it up.

Back