Is there a dedicated thread where techniques can be uploaded for beginners, without breaking self promotion rules?

This is a great idea. Beginners often have tunnel vision and only see one way to do things, when often there are several better and more accurate ways to do things. Exposure to different ways to perform a task is really helpful and broadens one's experience base.

Is there a thread where techniques can be uploaded for beginners, without breaking self promotion rules or can we only reply to specific requests / problems?

AFAIK, the 'self promotion rules' are intended to prevent commercial entities from randomly promoting their wares. Commercial entities, related to the hobby, can join as Commercial Members and can get a dedicated forum in the Sponsored Forums section.

Is your question in reference to promoting the sale of good or services, or does your 'self promotion' refer to your particular technique of creating a feature(s)?

Can you reply with an explanation of what you mean by 'self promotion'? I suspect that the confusion is a result of American English vs British English interpretations.

One issue is that there are people that do monetize their youtube channel. Does that count as self-promotion if you're trying to build your youtube subscriber count? Does it matter if your youtube videos are technique based or product based? For example I find that Fireball tool's channel has become more of a self-promotion of his products recently but does have some good machining content in the mix.

I personally also think someone's ratio of video post to general discussion posts may be relevant. If someone posts an occasional video showing something, and is a regular contributor I think they should get more leeway than if 50% or more of their posts are "see my latest video".

Anyway, not my forum to decide, but I can see there being some need for clarification from the site mods.

Last edited:
This is a great idea. Beginners often have tunnel vision and only see one way to do things, when often there are several better and more accurate ways to do things. Exposure to different ways to perform a task is really helpful and broadens one's experience base.

I'd love to see a quick cure for that situation. LOL

The old adage about swamps and alligators comes to mind.
People can be very insistent on doing it their way (until they discover a better way).

Education is the cure and people learn in their own ways and at their own pace. As long as they are not describing significant unsafe practices, c'est la vie.

It's important to recognize that there are many ways to skin almost any cat. I like to do it my way, until I learn a better way. LOL

Of course you can create a beginners guide thread, but that doesn't mean they'll read it. I've found most people would rather just ask the question than look up the answer on their own. I think you would do them better by answering their questions with the reference. "That's a good question, the answer is in Machinery's Handbook." The answer to most of the questions I asked when I started seemed to always be "it depends." I had to do some reading to figure out what questions to ask.

One issue is that there are people that do monetize their youtube channel. Does that count as self-promotion if you're trying to build your youtube subscriber count? Does it matter if your youtube videos are technique based or product based? For example I find that Fireball tool's channel has become more of a self-promotion of his products recently but does have some good machining content in the mix.

I personally also think someone's ratio of video post to general discussion posts may be relevant. If someone posts an occasional video showing something, and is a regular contributor I think they should get more leeway than if 50% or more of their posts are "see my latest video".

Anyway, not my forum to decide, but I can see there being some need for clarification from the site mods.

I will 'Report' your reply to bring your question(s) to the attention of the Staff. As one of the newest Mods, answering directly is over my pay grade.

I'm sure that if Jason (Fireball Tool) was a member here, and posted links to (or pitched) his product videos, he would have to be a Commercial Member. I don't really think of him as a hobbyist. He apparently is making good money with his tool sales and his personality is helping him build the brand. He's all about 'Commercial' and seems to be having a good time doing it.

People can be very insistent on doing it their way (until they discover a better way).

Education is the cure and people learn in their own ways and at their own pace. As long as they are not describing significant unsafe practices, c'est la vie

People also learn best in different ways; visual, reading, hands on. I'm one of those visual guys myself. You can explain to me, and I'll kind of get it, but if I see it, it'll click immediately.

Back