Is there a dedicated thread where techniques can be uploaded for beginners, without breaking self promotion rules?

Right now I'm definitely feeling less than helped.

I'm feeling patronized.

I entered into this discussion in good faith.

Apparently no question I can ask with my level of knowledge will be sufficient, even when I use terminology that I was told on this forum specifically delineates one operation from another.

"You don't mill on a drill or a grinder, milling is a function for a milling machine."

I guess that I have a lot to learn before I can even ask a question.

So I'll go learn.

Thanks for all of your help, and I do really appreciate the information that this community has given.

Hopefully one day I'll know enough to use it.
We can help if we know what you are working with, machine wise and tooling wise.

I have a frowned upon change gear lathe and a Chinese mill/drill, very limited in the amount of machining they can do.

they are in storage right now.............

Where I work I could use the production machines, they are completely different operations and set-ups.

Most importantly... do not get discouraged. This is how we all learn... by asking, and by doing.

Once the basics are learned, there is a lot of fun to be had, along with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

And occasionally, a bit of shame when a mistake is made... you have to learn to take that in stride.

I've been making chips for 32-ish years, and I still need advice occasionally... and I still learn from quite a few of the so-called 'amateurs' on this forum... there is a lot of very knowledgeable people here.

Ask away... we will do our best to help.

-Bear

As an ex teacher (professional cookery) I can say that asking questions is very hard when you do not have sufficient background in the subject to ask in a manner or format that the person being asked can still relate to so that they can give an effective answer.
Quite often I would have to re-format the question to check if that was what was really being asked.
Once the question is fully understood it can be answered.
I think its fair to say on this forum there are no dumb questions and I cannot remember ever seeing a patronising answer.
I have no formal training in machining, I still dont know 90% of the terminology to ask the question correctly but it doesnt prevent me from asking and having a go.
I always told my students that even mistakes are valid learning experiences and I have made plenty.

Not necessarily... some background info will help us all to help you.

For example... 'How do I clamp a piece of round stock to mill a slot in it?'. I would answer 'just clamp it in your vise'. Then you come back and say 'I don't have a vise'. See, if I had known that, then I could help you out better...

Or, if you reply 'I'm actually wanting to mill the slot on the face of the part and my mini-mill doesn't have enough travel'. If we know that up front, we can tailor our replies to fit your circumstances.

When asking a question, in order to get the most accurate advice, we need to know where you wish to mill the slot, what size the material is, what type of mill you have available, what type of tooling is available, etc...

And, if you don't know what you don't know, ask the question anyway. When you get some advice that doesn't fit either ignore it or clarify that you're working with a hand drill and holding the piece with your foot if that be the case. Nothing wrong with having a conversation, and that is how you come to know that it is a whats-it and not a thingamajig.

And, if you don't know what you don't know, ask the question anyway. When you get some advice that doesn't fit either ignore it or clarify that you're working with a hand drill and holding the piece with your foot if that be the case. Nothing wrong with having a conversation, and that is how you come to know that it is a whats-it and not a thingamajig.
This is also why one should include as many pictures as possible in one's post. If we can see what you see, or perhaps what you missed in the picture, we can help.

Wow! What a good thread with thoughtful responses and ideas. I love this forum!

I was alerted to this thread in the Staff Lounge by @extropic.

I'm going to begin reading again just to make sure I digest it all and we (the staff) will come back with a response.

I didn't know what I didn't know, and my bad habits that I had no idea were bad became second nature.
"If the student hasn't learned, the teacher hasn't taught." - from Job Instruction, Training Within Industry supervisor training, WWII program.

Back