Is there a dedicated thread where techniques can be uploaded for beginners, without breaking self promotion rules?

I've been holding back on this discussion.

Some of the most ill-advised, inappropriate, and denigrating comments have come from a tiny minority of industry professionals. It doesn't take long for them to get banned. For instance we had one guy that regularly told people with 7X12 or 8X28 offshore lathes that the problem could not be solved unless they got a 'real' lathe. Techniques can be fine or a disaster if the poster is applying the technique from an inappropriate context.

running this site takes a *ton* of work. We are all volunteers. Asking the mods to do editing and qualification will add significantly to the work we do.

My 2 cents.
I remember when this forum was first launched and the issue was where to put what came up multiple times. The solution was no solution. Everybody had their idea of where to put what.
Currently the forum has loads of information all over the place, sometimes it is a whole process from start to finish and other times just tips and suggestions. There is no way to be able to corral everything for a particular topic in one place without a staff that has to approve and moves posts around with the attendant hurt feelings. Some members will post their technics in the relevant topic so the OP can see it right away, while if placed in a collection it can get lost. Been there.
In the end a google search with keywords will yield most if not all one is looking for, and the larger the site the more information one has to wade through to get the answer that works for them in any case.
There is no win win.

I personally dislike the term "Qualified Tradesman" it means absolutely nothing in my experience.
Many so called "Qualified" tradesmen have done appalling work in my house that I have had to remedy afterwards.
I am totally self taught so do things that will make a "Qualified" tradesman turn in their grave.
It doesnt always work but it more often does to everyone's surprise including me.
An example that makes most cringe but it worked with no problems.

@Parlo

First, I want to say that you started an excellent, and valuable conversation.

I'm going to reply to a few of the phrases and words that you've used above. My intent is to clarify why I'm having trouble understanding how to converge on what you really want.

Qualified Tradesmen: H-M doesn't have a qualification certification that I'm aware of. I doubt that H-M is ready to establish one. So, the question is, who/how certifies "Qualified". I tried to address the issue with my previous comments about developing a reputation on H-M. Your posted content will be evaluated by each viewer and each viewer will determine the value to the viewer.

Measures In Place to Verify Content: I think that idea is contrary to the nature of the net in general. I don't see how H-M could implement it and I don't think it's necessary. There's an old adage that goes something like: I have developed my excellent judgement and skills through the consequences of my poor judgement and skills. Each member if free to use his/her judgement to choose techniques that fit his/her skills and other resources.

Obvious: IMO, obvious is a useless concept between strangers. The same with common sense. Those concepts are only useful between persons who are expected to be equivalently familiar with the subject/environment. H-M members have an extremely wide spectrum of knowledge and experience in the hobby/trade. What may be obvious (or common sense) to one, may be unknown to another.

Removing Incorrect Content: H-M has a rule against removing content. AFAIK, staff only does it in the case of content violating a rule(s). As has been said above, what works (is correct) for one may not work (is incorrect) for another. It's not clear how unsafe something would have to be before a majority of members would vote to remove it. What we (H-M members) do is reply with friendly and non denigrating comments to point out perceived problems and safety hazards and suggest alternatives.

Self Promotion: I think you are understanding that term to mean conceit, boasting, bragging and the like. That's not what H-M means. In the H-M rules, self promotion is in reference to commercial activity such as 'Buy my design', 'Buy my tool', 'Buy my machine', etc. You are free to boast, brag and think as highly of yourself as your reputation can stand. LOL

OK, I think I'm getting a grip on what you're talking about. You're describing a forum where only "Qualified Tradesmen" are the judges of what is a good technique vs what is bad or incorrect technique. The judges would have the authority to cull any "bad or incorrect" content posted by the unqualified. Is that it?

Obviously, someone would have to be appointed the TSAR of Qualified Tradesmen to check credentials and be the top authority determining correct vs incorrect. The forum would have to have a set of rules regarding the removal of content determined to be incorrect (or even off topic and common clutter?). There would have to be a Staff of Qualified Tradesmen to moderate the forum because only they can tell correct from incorrect.

As I understand it, it's beginning to seem a non-trivial effort to implement. I'm hoping to hear from other Staff members here.

Alternatively, I suggest you keep on posting replies where you think you can help and have a clear intention to do so. Reply to warn against what you think to be unsafe or to comment on the incorrect. Simply disregard what you consider to be off topic or clutter.

I agree...

I would think, over time, this would devolve into a 'contest of egos', leading to a very difficult (if not impossible) job keeping it in line. The mods would be saddled with this responsibility.

If you wish to create a topic on how you would do a certain operation, create away... if it is something that might be unsafe, someone will point that out pretty quickly.

I would probably qualify as one of your 'tradesmen'... I've been a machinist long enough to know there are many different ways to do any operation. The only ones that could be considered 'wrong' enough to be censored are the ones that are unsafe. Otherwise, there are too many variables involved to make black/white judgements... IOWs, there is a TON of 'grey area'...

Just my opinion...

-Bear

If you want a set of videos for beginners, search Youtube for "tubelcain"
I think he has covered about anything you'd want to do in a home shop.

I personally dislike the term "Qualified Tradesman" it means absolutely nothing in my experience.
Many so called "Qualified" tradesmen have done appalling work in my house that I have had to remedy afterwards.
I am totally self taught so do things that will make a "Qualified" tradesman turn in their grave.
It doesnt always work but it more often does to everyone's surprise including me.

Right on there,
basically you do the work ,an pay them, though they did nothing?
You are not alone.
how about paying an they didn't do the work!
Also- I began to notice people from out of town get the job done , less money?
Oh well my observations be careful...,

You must have been looking at my life too. I have thrown out 'qualified' electrician (1) plumbers (2) and gas fitter (1) and did those jobs myself -- the right way. None of their work was code and mine was. Since there was a permit drawn in each case, the inspections all passed.

@savarin your squaring is a technique taught by 'old school' machinists. it can be very safe, if you know what you are doing. which you do.

Back