Is there a dedicated thread where techniques can be uploaded for beginners, without breaking self promotion rules?

Perhaps the beginners technique thread the OP was wanting should be a sticky at the top of the Beginners Forum explaining how to ask that meaningful question!
I intend to do exactly that. I need to participate in real life for a few hours, starting soon.

And the thing it takes a while to know is - they're all right. If you use THEIR lathe/mill, THEIR vise, and THEIR brand/size tooling - you can build a perfect hammer using those suggestions.
And this is why they get so many different approaches . If the asker states what machines they have , what tooling they have , what fixtures they have , etc etc etc , there would be minimal answers . Most on here don't know who owns a 5 axis machining center vs a drill press or a mini lathe or 15" lathe . So how do you answer the question of " How do I make this" ?

Tell us what you have and then ask .

You agree! So please post a new thread showing some "fundamental information 101 lesson".
Suggested thread title "Parlo's Fundamentals, Lesson #1, Description".

Doesn't my suggestion above accomplish the same thing. Anyone who want's to see all of "Parlo's Fundamentals" can search on those key words or select to "Follow" Parlo and be notified of all your posts. Do you know how to "Follow" a member?

Otherwise, what you've been asking for is "Parlo's Forum" to contain your threads. I say "Parlo's Forum", not "Qualified Tradesmen's Forum" because you have not replied with any suggestion regarding how/who to vet the credentials of any prospective members of the group. None of the current H-M Staff have jumped forward exclaiming "I'll handle that". It's a non starter.
I did suggest that the forum participants would not need vetting if everyone followed the rules. If you fit the criteria then post, if you don't then please post elsewhere. I think we should trust the members to follow the rules.
You seem to be getting a little vexed, it's a forum where ideas are exchanged.

When you are asking a question, you need to specify what equipment you have.
That will help dictate what the answer will be.
Same as I brought up once about buying machines.
People recommend 3 phase motors, Bridgeport mils, 1440 lathes, when someone cannot use something like that.

When you are asking a question, you need to specify what equipment you have.
That will help dictate what the answer will be.
Same as I brought up once about buying machines.
People recommend 3 phase motors, Bridgeport mils, 1440 lathes, when someone cannot use something like that.
In most cases I understand that. But when the question is something like "what do I need to accomplish rounding off a corner on a part", or "how do I safely clamp a piece of round stock to mill a slot in it?" seems to me like questions that the principle concepts are the same regardless of what type of lathe or mill you have.

But that naivety might be borne of my inexperience.

In most cases I understand that. But when the question is something like "what do I need to accomplish rounding off a corner on a part", or "how do I safely clamp a piece of round stock to mill a slot in it?" seems to me like questions that the principle concepts are the same
....but are you rounding the corner in a bench vice with a file, on a bench grinder, a belt sander, a lathe or a mill?
Those concepts are very different.

....you say "mill a slot", but are you do you really mean "milling" it in a milling machine, a drill press, a lathe or cutting it in a shaper, or with a slotter?

I have found that by "following" people that posted things that made sense to me, and by reading every post that I was even slightly interested in, I learned a lot of the proper terminology and processes.....and grew the number of people that I "follow" and trust. I just checked and I currently follow a total of 103 members. Each of them has helped me along the path.

Please know that everyone here is trying to help you.

Brian

....but are you rounding the corner in a bench vice with a file, on a bench grinder, a belt sander, a lathe or a mill?
Those concepts are very different.

....you say "mill a slot", but are you do you really mean "milling" it in a milling machine, a drill press, a lathe or cutting it in a shaper, or with a slotter?

I have found that by "following" people that posted things that made sense to me, and by reading every post that I was even slightly interested in, I learned a lot of the proper terminology and processes.....and grew the number of people that I "follow" and trust. I just checked and I currently follow a total of 103 members. Each of them has helped me along the path.

Please know that everyone here is trying to help you.

Brian
Right now I'm definitely feeling less than helped.

I'm feeling patronized.

I entered into this discussion in good faith.

Apparently no question I can ask with my level of knowledge will be sufficient, even when I use terminology that I was told on this forum specifically delineates one operation from another.

"You don't mill on a drill or a grinder, milling is a function for a milling machine."

I guess that I have a lot to learn before I can even ask a question.

So I'll go learn.

Thanks for all of your help, and I do really appreciate the information that this community has given.

Hopefully one day I'll know enough to use it.

I'm feeling patronized.

Apparently no question I can ask with my level of knowledge will be sufficient, even when I use terminology that I was told on this forum specifically delineates one operation from another.

"You don't mill on a drill or a grinder, milling is a function for a milling machine."

So I'll go learn.

Thanks for all of your help, and I do really appreciate the information that this community has given.

If you have a specific question, please create your own post in the beginners forum. We will do our best to help you. No joke, that's what we try to do here. Members helped me when I was starting out and they will help you too. I will help you also to the best of my ability. Make that post. Give us a little background so we can see what you are working with.

In most cases I understand that. But when the question is something like "what do I need to accomplish rounding off a corner on a part", or "how do I safely clamp a piece of round stock to mill a slot in it?" seems to me like questions that the principle concepts are the same regardless of what type of lathe or mill you have.

Not necessarily... some background info will help us all to help you.

I'm feeling patronized.

So I'll go learn.

For example... 'How do I clamp a piece of round stock to mill a slot in it?'. I would answer 'just clamp it in your vise'. Then you come back and say 'I don't have a vise'. See, if I had known that, then I could help you out better...

Or, if you reply 'I'm actually wanting to mill the slot on the face of the part and my mini-mill doesn't have enough travel'. If we know that up front, we can tailor our replies to fit your circumstances.

When asking a question, in order to get the most accurate advice, we need to know where you wish to mill the slot, what size the material is, what type of mill you have available, what type of tooling is available, etc...

In a production shop, where there are possibly several machines and a lot of different tooling available, it's easier to answer this question. Most home shops are more or less limited as to what is available to do a particular job. Sometimes you have to get 'creative' figuring out how...

If we know your 'limits', we can often find a way to work around them.

-Bear

@STEMtheMachining ,

I'm feeling patronized.
Please do NOT feel patronized!
I meant all my comments in good faith.

The problem is that there can be a gap between those that know terminology and those that don't.
I believe that is part of the learning experience.

I do NOT claim to know all the proper terminology myself, but I try my best, admit when I do not know, and hope someone more experienced chimes in.

The best we can do is offer a safe space for those without experience to ask some questions.
If you receive answers here that are "less then helpful" then please ignore those and keep asking.
Give as much information as you can why previous answers do not apply and someone here will try to help.

Unfortunately where ever you go on "the net" there will be some "bad actors" that care more about their ego than sharing knowledge.
But this is NOT that place. My experience is that this site is far, far better than anything else you will find in terms of breadth and depth of knowledge, willingness to share, and civil attitudes.

Most here truly want to help.... we just need to know how.
That comes with understanding the question and the knowledge, experience, and available tools of the asker.

Brian

Back