It works!

This Old Tony said he got interested in machining and welding to fix things. Mr. Pete says any guy with 10k worth of tools can build a $5 part. How you can live without a lathe and a mill is beyond me. Curiosity and anal retentitiveness may mean that putting up with the "unacceptability" of a milled surface means you have to get a surface grinder. And while you might use a broach to cut a key way, it's soo much more limiting than a shaper. The more you know, the more tools are required (or at least you know you don't have - that's the same thing, right?). This logical progression is obvious to the enlightened. Words like affliction, addiction, obsession, etc. would indicate we are doing it wrong (not that most mental patients don't feel they are very right also). The fact that there are so many of us laughing our kiester off at this thread means we have all, independently, arrived at the same place by mostly the same progression. I am, and will be, unapologetic - welcome to the club. If they can't single point a thread, I say screw them. Aspire to have a really cool auction when you are gone.

Speaking of measuring things I bought a dial indicator, dial test indicator and a 1” Mitutoyo caliper today
emoji16.png
emoji16.png
emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now you are hooked. ...your done for. No turning back. Buy something a arbor and a couple of collets,I know you want to.... no one will know :devil:

$10K tools to build a $5 part? Think about the mass production tooling it took to make that quick-change toolpost you agonized over before settling for the Chinese cheapo from eBay, and you discovered it was pretty good for the $$$. The production intrinsic value of the thing is just soooo low!

I wonder the pharmaceutical industry might conjure up a way to wean us off this addiction. Maybe some kind of patch you stick on your arm containing .. I dunno, "Essence of Way Oil", or something..

This is not my quote, but I think it is awesome...... “I had a nightmare last night. I dreamt that I had died and my wife sold all my tools for what I told her I paid for them.” So...... who in the group can say 100% that they have never “skewed” a price when sharing the story of a purchase with their spouse? Or that every purchase has been reported......

“Crickets Chirping in the silence........”

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I may have a problem, but I am in good company..... and if an addiction to tools and “things mechanical” is the worst I ever do, well, my grandfather would be proud of me.

Cheers lads!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I’m 100% honest about my shop spending.
Her perspective is that good things come from a well equipped shop.

She has a rare book passion that I fully support. Mind you rare books appreciate in value. My mini lathe is never going to appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're pretty above board in my house about spending. On both sides we have relatively inexpensive hobbies that keep us at home. We've both seen others with actual expensive hobbies, sportscars, boats, bar hopping, mistresses / pool boys...

When I bought a fire engine, the low boy operator who delivered it kept saying, you must have the coolest wife. I'd be sleeping on the couch if I brought a fire truck home. :grin:

On the other side she has a gaming computer that cost more than any of my individual machines, and some dresses that could have bought me a nice set of boring bars.

Back