It works!

This is not my quote, but I think it is awesome...... “I had a nightmare last night. I dreamt that I had died and my wife sold all my tools for what I told her I paid for them.”
OK - while I will try to keep things in the "laughing our kiester off at this thread" theme as mentioned by GL earlier, you almost, but not quite, visited a darker place, so I am, just temporarily, going to go all the way there!

The sense of pride in the home machine shop setup, and the collection of fine tools that has given the fella so much joy is likely not shared in the same sense, nor intensity by those around him, and when he finally kicks the bucket, we may find others around who value his possessions less. I became acutely aware of this when I collected my South Bend 9C from a $147 eBay sale. It was covered in clean oil, and had clearly been looked after. The owner had passed away, and his descendant relatives were disposing of his stuff like it was a car-boot junk sale!

Yeah - I have the addiction! I am a total goner - well past redemption. It is not the first time I have loved activities where (most of) my families reaction was "What? At your age. Are you crazy"? Unlike Tutankhamun, I know I can't take it with me, so I just don't care what happens to the stuff. I just want to be happy messing with it now!

The OP only has to know that he is now on the slippery slope of something that will likely give him joy. You can tell by the grin and the glazed eyes look, and the faster beating pulse as the steel is cut, and the way he punches the air every now and then.

Regarding my last post...... I was just joking along..... Sorry to disrupt the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I’m 100% honest about my shop spending.
Her perspective is that good things come from a well equipped shop.

She has a rare book passion that I fully support. Mind you rare books appreciate in value. My mini lathe is never going to appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will appreciate it

Regarding my last post...... I was just joking along..... Sorry to disrupt the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No worries!
I’m a first class thread disrupter!

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I may have a problem, but I am in good company..... and if an addiction to tools and “things mechanical” is the worst I ever do, well, my grandfather would be proud of me.
Not at all - I did understand. No apology needed. You triggered a LOL here! It was me who got to thinking about how humor often covers a awkward truth!

In my case telling the truth about the cost of the machine was moot. She gets to see the bank statement anyway.
It was more of a "Why were you and Andy trawling eBay at night with 2.5 drinks in"? .. and "Did you even bother to check how far away this collection only thing was located"? Andy rescued me. He has a white van. He is a fellow addict worse than me! :)

There is no 12 step program for tool addicts because there is no cure!

Well, there is one: Going from a very good paying career to forced early retirement. No money...no more tools. :(

For me the opposite... almost no money, but amost all of it to tools. I can't stop! I now have 3 full size mills 3 metal lathes and a lot more! Room has beome a big problem.

I’m a CL regular as well. Sadly it’s not very gratifying here.
Though I did find a nice SB CL0770R today in Vancouver . $1200.

Makes the local SB 9C in pieces for $1100 a complete rip-off.

David, try Kijiji.ca... I picked up two really nice machines from Richmond in the past few years, advertised on kijiji...

The SB is a great find...

Back