It's cold up here now...

For the past 3 nights it has been between -37C to -39C all night long; No need to convert - that's about the same in Fahrenheit.... With the wind chill, it reached -55 last night. (that's -67 F)

Actually not all that unusual for January here. (Canadian prairies)

I Don't know how you guys live in such a cold climate, currently here in downtown Adelaide S. Aust it in the low 30's c. Last winter we got as low as 6c and that's pretty normal. We never see snow here, well occasionly we get a slight dusting on top of the low mountains at the back of town. We have beach weather 6 months of the year, and for some of the hardier folk it's all year

We do have a wood burner but it's in the main living area, a bit of a show piece it includes a water jacket connected to a 400L tank which supplies all the hot water for the house during winter, in summer the hot water is solar.

-15ºF here overnight. Currently -13º. I coldest temperature that I have ever recorded was -39.5º. and that was several years ago. The cold isn't that bad if you don't have to go out though.

It is a little hard on the dog. When we ask him if he want's to go out he will come to the door, stick his nose out and recoil like he just came nose to nose with a cobra. Normally, he meanders around for five or six minutes. In this cold, it's do what you have to and back inside.

Can't compete with you guys here. We're passing through Blythe, CA this AM enroute to a month in Tucson. It was 65F last night at 10PM. The pool heater in Tucson is scheduled to be installed today, hope they turn it on before we get in this afternoon. Hang in, y'all.

For the past 3 nights it has been between -37C to -39C all night long; No need to convert - that's about the same inf Fahrenheit.... With the wind chill, it reached -55 last night. (that's -67 F)
Talked to Matt last night Dab . He confirmed it was quite cold there ! :grin: Can't say his exact words being this site is PG rated .

About 2AM I wake up and the furnace fan is running and running......hmmmmm. It's time to get up and investigate so
take a look out the kitchen window to see the light on the boiler telling me it probably needs wood. Also looking out the
window I see my glass thermometer is reading exactly 25 below zero F. Outside the wind is blowing from the northwest
making a nasty wind chill of -50 or so. The stove was down to a few coals but enough to get a fire going so I found some
real dry poplar wood to get things going and piled in a load of ash, oak and birch and shut the door. It takes about twenty
minutes to heat about 100 gallons of water from 125 degrees to 180 degrees with good wood. Crunch, crunch, crunch
in the snow back to the house and back to bed.

View attachment 474224

I use a computer program called windy.com and see the well below zero cold stretches south all the
way to Oklahoma! There is a ton of information on windy.com!
That's really COLD!
This is unusual right?
I just checked Butte Montana, they are in the -24 zone!!

Can't compete with you guys here. We're passing through Blythe, CA this AM enroute to a month in Tucson. It was 65F last night at 10PM. The pool heater in Tucson is scheduled to be installed today, hope they turn it on before we get in this afternoon. Hang in, y'all.
Send me a note when you get an idea how much the monthly cost is.
I'd love to heat our 10,300 gallon in ground pool.

Yeah, 60 is the high today in Northern CA.

Back