It's cold up here now...

The white **** is now falling . :rolleyes: Told the wife if I'm not back in an hour , send out the search Sheltie ! :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_6026.JPG
    IMG_6026.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 14
That's really COLD!
This is unusual right?
I just checked Butte Montana, they are in the -24 zone!!
This is an El-Nino weather event. Normally it is a lot colder all winter up here.
We have had a very mild winter up to now so this 25 below stuff isn't so bad,
however the usual winter severe cold does not usually accompany northwest winds of 15 to 25 mph.
Once you are climatized with a cold spell, you become accustomed to the norm. I have experienced
50 below and have recorded it on an accurate glass thermometer outside my kitchen window which
is receiving some heat through the window pane. It looks like it will be another week or so before
we get some more likeable conditions. In the mean time, it's best to hunker down and not spend
a lot of time outdoors. Today I was outside in the wind charging some batteries in various equipment.
You can't just let them sit until spring or you will be replacing a lot of batteries that have frozen and
become useless.

This is an El-Nino weather event. Normally it is a lot colder all winter up here.
We have had a very mild winter up to now so this 25 below stuff isn't so bad,
however the usual winter severe cold does not usually accompany northwest winds of 15 to 25 mph.
Once you are climatized with a cold spell, you become accustomed to the norm. I have experienced
50 below and have recorded it on an accurate glass thermometer outside my kitchen window which
is receiving some heat through the window pane. It looks like it will be another week or so before
we get some more likeable conditions. In the mean time, it's best to hunker down and not spend
a lot of time outdoors. Today I was outside in the wind charging some batteries in various equipment.
You can't just let them sit until spring or you will be replacing a lot of batteries that have frozen and
become useless.
100%.

For me, it is the wind that gets me. If it is -25F and calm, meh. -25f and windy, cripes, that is cold!
This winter is also highly unusual for @cathead and me because of the nearly complete lack of snow, or at least no snow "down here." We got missed by the stuff on Friday so the ground only has a slight covering of snow. If this cold continues more than a week or so, it will drive the frost down deep without the snow cover, which will lead to frozen sewer systems and water pipes.

It started to snow around 3 am and has been steady pretty much all day. The ground is not real cold so it has taken a while for it to stick.
1snow.jpg
2snow.jpg

Last edited:
we're a balmy 24*f. Not as cold as most of you..
Got an email from Lee Valley today, they said "It's time to HiberMake..."
That's how I view the real extreme cold.
Wonder when it's going to get here.

We've got a good snow cover so the ground probably hasn't frozen too much. At 5:30 this afternoon it got up to -3°F. We always seem to get a cold snap in January so maybe from now on it will be up hill.......Well sort of. Just looked at the weather guesser, sort of warmer this coming week but low of -18°F on friday. I'm ready for the spring thaw.

Back