Jeep project

The Jeep is definitely a keeper. We bought a TJ in 2004 and still have it today. In my opinion it's the best model Jeep has ever made if you're into using it as a highway driver and like to do easy to moderate off roading. It's the first model where the passenger compartment more or less sits between the axles rather than over them. The wheelbase is a bit wider than previous models and overall height is a bit less. This makes for better handling both on road and off. It's still small enough to handle the narrow off-road passes with ease. In my opinion the newer JK and JL models are oversize beasts.

Our 2004 was rear ended in 2014 on the interstate while being towed by our motorhome at 65 mph. The kid that hit us claimed "The windshield was so dirty I couldn't see the Jeep ahead". The reality of the situation was that he was on his cellphone.

Anyway, the damage estimate started out at $5,000.00. As time went on is went up to $11,000.00. At that point the insurance company wanted to total it. When they actually looked at the Jeep, they saw it was like new and only had 44,000 miles on the odometer. There was nothing on the used car market that even remotely compared so they decided rather than total it they would have it repaired.

It took over 2 months to get it back since the body had to be removed from the frame to replace a rear frame member. When all was said and done it drives like new and still has only a little over 67,000 miles on the clock. It's not like it's a garage queen. It's been towed behind our motorhomes over 120,000 miles. It's been to all 49 of the continental states and toured the Alaskan terrain on 3 different trips.

Most used TJ's in our area have an asking price of between $9,000.00 and $11,000.00. There are some with asking prices as high as $14,000.00. Since most sold new in the $20,000.00 to 30,000.00 that's not bad for a 20+ year old vehicle.

The plan right now is to do the bare minimum to pass the DOT inspection and get a rebuilt title. That will include replacing the axle and suspension, getting the frame straightened, installing a new muffler and tailpipe, and replacing the windsheild ( the current one was cracked before the accident and I never replaced it... but they won't inspect it with any cracked glass).

After I get a rebuilt title, I plan to do a good bit more work repairing things that it needed before the accident, such as new shocks, new carpet, etc...

-Bear

So.... Any updates?

:p :D

So.... Any updates?

:p :D

Yesterday I called a local frame repair shop. The person I talked to wanted me to attempt to verify that the frame actually was bent before I went to the expense of having it put on a frame machine and measured.

He explained how to get underneath and take some triangulation measurements with a tape measure... he also said that if it was bent toward the drivers side, there should be a 'hollowed out' area right at the bend on the drivers side frame rail.

Bottom line... he didn't believe it was bent because the hood and fenders were all still aligned.

I did what he suggested... and found there was a 3/4" difference in my triangulation measurements. I also found the 'hollowed' area on the drivers frame rail...

20220916_141038.jpg

Screenshot_20220917-100335_Gallery.jpg

It is right at the back of the front body mount.

Also, right at the hollowed area, on the inside of the frame rail, it is obvious that the frame rail is not verticle... it is pushed out at the bottom, or twisted...

20220916_141057.jpg

I sent him the pics and then called him back. He agreed the frame is bent, but apparently not enough to exceed the amount that the body mount bushings can flex.

Anyway, he is booked solid for the next two weeks. He wants me to call him back next Friday and schedule an appointment.

I think I've found the right person to do the work... he told me before opening his own shop, he managed the body shop at a large Jeep dealership... so he knows Jeeps pretty well.

-Bear

I've been collecting parts for a few days...

This came out of a '97 Wrangler with 130,000 miles... it seems to be in good condition and has the track bar and tie rod...

20220922_094034.jpg

20220922_094049.jpg

The control arms are still on it, but I'm not going to use them. I've ordered a new set of arms... they aren't expensive...

I've also ordered a new muffler and tailpipe.

I'll call the frame repair shop tomorrow and see if he can schedule an appointment, hopefully soon...

-Bear

keep your jeep, I wish I would have kept my old 67Jeepster commando and my 74 cherokee. I have had more than 7 jeeps and still have my 46 special and my two 1950 pickups----they are too much fun to own.
Dave
I still have the hood from my 67 Jeepster Commando!

Back