Just added a 101.21200 to my shop out west

First chips....

firstchips.jpeg

Getting the motor securely mounted such that the belt wouldn't slip and flip around was a challenge but it's working now. Ran it at top speed doing this and the surface finish is pretty good. I can see doing some fine small work with this lathe and I realized last night after reading a post on another group that it will be perfect for a sailboat machine shop:grin:

Cheers,

John

First chips....

View attachment 319601

Getting the motor securely mounted such that the belt wouldn't slip and flip around was a challenge but it's working now. Ran it at top speed doing this and the surface finish is pretty good. I can see doing some fine small work with this lathe and I realized last night after reading a post on another group that it will be perfect for a sailboat machine shop:grin:

Cheers,

John

"sailboat machine shop"

Oh, yeah that sounds like an inexpensive hobby. ;)

"sailboat machine shop"

Oh, yeah that sounds like an inexpensive hobby. ;)

I've been sailing for many years and it definitely can be expensive. But, the kind of sailor who wants a lathe on his boat is someone like me who is capable of working on every system and likely bought his boat like I did for very little cash and a whole lot of sweat equity. I love sailing for the same reason I love machining, it allows me to learn new things and always be pushing my limits.

My current boat is only 26ft and ~4000lbs so definitely no machine shop is going on it but if I ever get a blue water passage making boat you can bet it'll be fully equipped for making replacement parts underway. I'm currently reading the US Navy Machinery Repairman manual.

Good stuff once you get it to download.

Cheers,

John

Cue the sad trombone music.

compound.jpeg

I thought I would try parting some steel and this happened.

John

I can see it's been crashed before so maybe. There's not much material there anyway so I doubt it can be welded successfully.

John

I ordered one of the newer rectangular ones off eBay. Not happy with what I had to pay but glad it was available.

John

The replacement compound casting arrived and it fits perfectly NOS I think. It also looks a little beefier than the old one and the square corners do go well with this model.

DSCN1336.JPG

John

Looks great! I wonder why the sides of the new compound slide aren't painted?

Back